Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
Hello, okay so I got a new laptop and I was going to give my sister a my hp stream. Since I wanted her to personalize the computer to her name and everything. So I went to go to reset the HP Stream so it could be like new, but there were two different type of resets I guess, and I guess i clicked the wrong one. I remember it saying "deleting files if you want to recycle your computer" and the other saying "deletes only your files and personal data" and i'm assuming i click the first one since my computer is now messing up.

While it was "resetting" it didn't reset all the way. It only got to 65% and then said it had a problem resetting and so I tried to do it again but it failed once more. That was then I chose the other option, the "deletes only your files and personal data" or something like that. But then it didn't fully reset either. I was getting frustrated so it gave me an option to shut down or restart my computer, so that's what I did.

Once I shut it down, it started the HP Logo. Usually I know when it's going to start up correctly but I thought something was off. The screen then turned black but was still lit up and then the HP logo came back on. This repeated over and over. I don't think it stops.

I tried to do the "turning it back on and press f11" option but once I press that, the message "your pc needs to be repaired" "Error: 0xc0000225"

I have no idea what to do. I even tried fixing the BIOS but it was still looping the hp logo with the same error. 😞
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @haylsomg

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Happy holidays !

This is happening because the computer cannot successfully and fully load Windows. This may be hardware problem or software problem. The recovery process was interrupted and Windows did not get installed (fully).

I am sorry for the issues you experience. Based on your description it seems you did nothing wrong. It's either HDD issue (less likely) or the recovery partition is corrupted/not properly working.

* Please, confirm if you use Win 8.1 or Windows 10 - if it is 10 - did you upgrade to it ?

* What Windows version you want to run on this PC ?

* Can you provide your full product model and product number >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please, perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

*** If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

4. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Try to perform the Reset procedure again and let me know if it fails.

Provide the details mentioned above.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Alrighty, so I used Windows 8 in the beginning I believe, but then upgraded to Windows 10 like months ago. I would probably want Windows 10 to run on my laptop again.

Model: 11-d010wm
Product Number: K3Y84UA#ABA

I did the Quick Test, and it passed.

Test Results:
Processor Check: Passed
Memory Quick Check: Passed ( Tested 1.81 GB )
Storage Quick Check: Passed
Battery Check: OK (0)
Wireless Module Check: Passed
System Board Check: Passed
System Quick Check: Passed

I then repeated the steps once I was done, then this is where another problem comes in as well. 😞
I pressed f11 and it tells me:

Recovery
Your Pc needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed
Error code: 0xc000025
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or Usb device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

I then pressed enter to try again and it just blinks and stays on the same page

I then f8 for the Startup settings and it just blinked again and stayed on the same page. So my only option is to press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings. 😞
HP Recommended
@It_WinSec
Alrighty, so I used Windows 8 in the beginning I believe, but then upgraded to Windows 10 like months ago. I would probably want Windows 10 to run on my laptop again.

Model: 11-d010wm
Product Number: K3Y84UA#ABA

I did the Quick Test, and it passed.

Test Results:
Processor Check: Passed
Memory Quick Check: Passed ( Tested 1.81 GB )
Storage Quick Check: Passed
Battery Check: OK (0)
Wireless Module Check: Passed
System Board Check: Passed
System Quick Check: Passed

I then repeated the steps once I was done, then this is where another problem comes in as well. 😞
I pressed f11 and it tells me:

Recovery
Your Pc needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed
Error code: 0xc000025
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or Usb device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

I then pressed enter to try again and it just blinks and stays on the same page

I then f8 for the Startup settings and it just blinked again and stayed on the same page. So my only option is to press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings. 😞
HP Recommended

Hi,

The good news is that the hardware tests passed. This is software issue.

Because you previously performed upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10 on this very same computer and since you have used Win 10 for a while and

if Windows 10 was activated (it's licence was activated), then your computer has a Digital entitlement option stored on Microsoft servers. Because of this, you no longer need a code/lic key to activate Windows 10 if you need to reinstall it.  More info:

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

>> http://www.winbeta.org/news/digital-entitlement-a-new-method-of-activation-in-windows-10

If you prefer Windows 10, you can directly download Windows 10 ISO image from MS site or download Media creation tool from Microsoft site. It can be used to create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You can use the Microsoft file to create installation media or you can read these instructions, use the ISO and create it on your own:

How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

How to write ISO to DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

* Ensure Secure Boot is disabled.

* Ensure Legacy mode is enabled.

* Save the UEFI/BIOS changes.

Details>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Eventually, please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive or the DVD prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the thumb drive as boot option.

Follow the on-screen instructions to : delete all currect HDD partition, install Windows 10 on unallocated space on the HDD.

Follow the on-screen steps.

Eventually, install drivers taken from HP web site when Win installation completes or via Windows Update/Device Manager

Either visit HP website http://support.hp.com >> Drives downloads section

or run Windows Update

or use Device Manager to update drivers for network adapters, video card, audio adapter, chipset, etc...

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes, do not hesitate to post back if something is not clear.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
@ITWin_Sec

Okay, so that all worked so my screen is back so that's a great thing!! All of a sudden though, my mouse disappeared, do you have any suggestions on what that's about and what to do? My mouse doesn't appear and my touchpad won't let me click so I can only control stuff with my keyboard by using "Tab" and the arrows and enter and space bar.

I even looked at my mouse settings but it said there's no hardware for my mouse? That's the only problem though, everything else is working fine.
HP Recommended
@IT_WinSec

Okay, so that all worked so my screen is back so that's a great thing!! All of a sudden though, my mouse disappeared, do you have any suggestions on what that's about and what to do? My mouse doesn't appear and my touchpad won't let me click so I can only control stuff with my keyboard by using "Tab" and the arrows and enter and space bar.

I even looked at my mouse settings but it said there's no hardware for my mouse? That's the only problem though, everything else is working fine.
HP Recommended
This is exactly what I'm going through right now! Glad I'm not the only one.

HP Recommended

@haylsomg wrote:
@IT_WinSec

OK,

So let's confirm - you reinstalled Windows 10 as per the above instructions and it all worked fine.

Your mouse (internal one - touchpad) is not working now ? Did you try to restart the computer ? Did you try to update the drivers ? Did you run Windows Update ?

HP Recommended
@IT_WinSec

Yes.

and yeah, my internal one is not working right now. I restarted it because i thought that was the problem, but it came up with no mouse cursor and my touchpad not working. I then went to update my drivers and download some from HP and put it on my laptop but it still didn't show up anything. and I don't think I've ran a windows Update yet, but it's hard getting around with only using tab, space bar, enter, and the arrow keys.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.