Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Quo Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (11,783 Views)

Adding Asset Tag information into the Bios from Windows 7

Hi

i am looking for a utility that will allow me to add asset tag information into the bios from within windows 7 on the following: Laptop Elite Book range :  6930P  2530P 8440P

also on Desktops models: Z200sff, Z210sff, dc7800sff , dc7900sff and 800elitesff

is it possible there is one utility for all ?

or if there is no utility could someone suggest a way of doing this ?

Manually entry on thousands of machines at bios level is just not possible

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (11,761 Views)

Re: Adding Asset Tag information into the Bios from Windows 7

Hi, Andy:

If you want to do it the only way is manual for each desktop PC and through MS DOS via a FDD or USB FDD only.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

Notebooks: Not possible at all.

Paul

Quo Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (11,759 Views)

HI Paul,

Thanks for your reply - not the answer i was hoping for. I am not questioning your judgement but it does seem strange how you can apply a bios update from within Windows 7 (which is effectively writing to the bios) but you cant add asset information via the same method .

Thanks for your quick response - Seems to be an administrative nightmare for Asset tracking through sccm . We have lenovo laptops and that can be done via Windows7 - is this because the laptops and desktops are too old ???

Thanks

Andy  

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (11,757 Views)

Hi, Andy:

As far as I know, HP does not have any utilities whatsoever to change or add asset tags in the BIOS of notebooks.

It has nothing to do with the age of the PC's.

I have a brand new 8200 Elite (3 models newer than the dc7900), and if I wanted to change the serial number or add an asset tag, I would have to use the same utility I sent you the link to.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation