Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 43
Flag Post

Adding a 2nd hard drive to an Envy m7-j010dx

HP Recommended

I recently bought an Envy Touchsmart 17 m7-j010dx - I'd love to put a 2nd HD in it but I'd need a drive caddy (or rubber HD grommet thing) and the SATA cable. 

Where could I purchase these items?

0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,229
Message 2 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This must be quite a new machine as I could find virtually no info on it.

If you have a digital camera, take a photo of the caddy and related bits and send it to these guys, if anyone will have it, it will be them.

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/

If you post the photos here, I should be able to help you as well.

Also, if there are any part numbers on the actual caddy, that would be useful too. (this assumes that the caddy for the primary drive is the same for the secondary drive as well as the cable length)

Have you tried contacting HP directly, if not to get the caddy, but maybe to get  a part number.

Sometimes it can be very difficult dealing with HP though. :indifferent:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5390703&task=solveCategory

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are pictures of the internal HD bays. You'll notice there isn't a traditional HD carrier for the 1st HD - it's a rubber gasket that wraps around the drive. There is a metal spacer in the 2nd HD bay.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/100361153796341361682/posts/CaDtg2977TV

I suspect the laptop is too new to have the parts available already but I'll be quite happy to be wrong!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,229
Message 4 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IMAG0013.jpgIMAG0013.jpgIMAG0014.jpg

I was hoping I would recognise the caddy, but I didn't. Let me check around with a few others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue with my Envy 17t j000. There is a second bay, but no caddy or SATA cable. Strangely enough I'm trying to run the same SSD as the original poster. Below are some pics of my setup, you can see the included "caddy" is just a rubber sleeve as the OP mentioned (DW17C is the only info on it).

The site HaggisCat mentions has two products for HP Envys, one for the the old 1000-2000 models, and one for newer 3000 models: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=481, but this doens't look promising for our j000 series. I've sent them an email, and will report back the results.

Bay 1.JPGBay 2.JPGConnector.JPGCaddy.JPG

SATA cable.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
4,535 4,502 384 1,081
Message 6 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP P/N 720237-001 - HDD Hardware Kit

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 7 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ordered the part ($42!). My guess/hope is that this will include the rubber drive caddy/grommet and the same SATA cable as the laptop shipped with. I'm hoping I can make it work. I'll let you know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased this laptop over the weekend and mine came with the extra SATA cable. Of course the rubber drive caddy wasn't included, but I am hoping I can find that much easier/cheaper. I wonder if HP would send out a SATA cable to those missing it since it sounds like it may have gotten lost/forgotten in production.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 5 0 0
Message 9 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, that's kind of ridiculous that the customer has to purchase an extra kit to hook up the 2nd HDD. Why would you include a 2nd slot, but leave out hardware? My previous HP system was good to go out of the box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bought Envy m7-j010dx from Best Buy. Salesperson had geek squad guy open the bottom of demo model - no 2nd connector, no extra caddy. When I took the new laptop home and opened the bottom, found 2nd connector but no extra rubber caddy. HP would only sell the rubber caddy with the connector. So I bought a rubber caddy from Ebay

and cut it up so there was no metal to metal contact with the laptop and 2nd HDD. Bonus feature of laptop that I was unaware of is: you can use each of your 10 fingers to log on to 10 different password protected sites.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-G6-Hard-Drive-Caddy-/251084855064?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation