cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sies Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Advice on re-installing HP G62 with failed hard disk

G62

Hi,

My girlfriend dropped her laptop and now the hard disk died. Since she doesn't have any recovery disks, I'm looking for advice on how to re-install her OS with a new hard disk.

Since I'm not sure of the exact windows version (32 or 64-bit) and haven't found a good ISO-image for her laptop (it's an Italian version) I could use some help. I have the product key.

Please advise.

Best regards,

Sies Stadhouders

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Intern
Intern
31 31 1 2
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sies.

Welcome tu HP Forums.

First of all let's take a look in the BIOS to see what operating system we should install.

At system startup press F1 or F10 to get into the BIOS. If you have less then 4 GB of memory you need a 32-bit operating system. If ypu have 4GB or more you need a 64bit operating system.

0 Kudos
Sies Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Cipriaan,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have the laptop here with me and my girlfriend is at work. I'll search for it as soon as I have the laptop to know which version to install. Thanks!

Could you already guide me through steps that should follow from there on? So I can prepare the steps and downloads now, in order to be able to perform the upgrade in one evening when my girlfriend visits tomorrow?

Thanks again. 

Sies

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 31 1 2
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure. I will gladly help you with the installations steps.

Here's a tutorial with pictures on the matter:

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-(Beginners)

If you have anymore questions i'm here.

Regards

Ciprian

0 Kudos
Sies Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. However, this process is known to me. The only problem I have is that I don't have the windows disk corresponding to the key that's registered on the back of this laptop. So I'm searching for a Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit italian ISO-image so I can install windows on a new disk.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 31 1 2
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have a valid license key here's a link to obtain windows:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

0 Kudos
Sies Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. However, it doesn't work with my key. 

"The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

Anyway, with the help of some online sources I managed to find an Italian ISO download and I converted it to a bootable USB disk with the help of an official Windows tool and a separate download of bootsect.exe

I managed to boot from this USB stick and get into the Windows startup menu. 

But I don't have a new hard drive yet. Just wanted to check all this out first, to try to make sure I could make it work this far before investing in new hardware. 

Fingers crossed that my product key will work with this Windows install...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
16212 16155 1509 3598
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sies

Even if you COULD have downloaded the Win7 ISO file from MS, that would have done you NO GOOD, as your PC came preinstalled with an HP OEM version of Win7, and the product key on your PC will only work with that version.

Same is true of the Italian version you downloaded -- unless it is an HP OEM version, your product key will not work.

What will work is HP Recovery Media. That would erase the entire drive, format the drive, and install the OS, the drivers, and the HP utilities.

Unfortunately, there is no HP Recovery Media linked to the HP Product Page for your PC. This could be an oversight by HP, or it could also mean that HP no longer stocks the recovery media for your PC. They no long stock recovery media for the older PCs.

You can try contacting HP Customer Support directly, using the links below, to see if you can order if from them:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you should check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation