Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
j_iliz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Advisor Upgrade - error 259

HP Advisor says an update is available for my DV3510nr Pavilion laptop running Vista Home Preimum SP2 64bit.

The download finishes with the 66,116,080 KB file, the Install Shield pops up, I hit NEXT and accept the license terms, then a popup appears titled "Overwrite Protection". The popup asks whether I want to overwrite C:\Swsetup\SP45967\AdvisorUpgrade.exe and I select “Yes to All”.

After about 5-10 seconds of activity another popup titled WinZip Self Extractor appears asking if I want to “Abort unzip operation” (Yes/No). I hit No.

The software thinks for another 10 seconds and I get an error popup titled “HP Advisor Application Update”. The message says “The update did not complete successfully. (259)”

I don’t know what to do to fix this. Does somebody have experience with this issue?

I have tried repeating this process from SAFE Mode with networking with the same results.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4523 238 1224
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suspect what is happening here is that you are installing the same version that is already on your laptop. It wants to over-write the file in SwSetup with the same one, file # 45967.

Here is the most recent one from Vista 64 bit on your support page, note that the file number is the same.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-78960-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

If HP Advisor is running with out error, leave it alone. While there is probably a newer version available, if your old one is working, then it's not advisable to touch it.

The fact that it's trying to update itself with the same version just supports my theory that it is buggy software and your computer is better off with out it, but as a said, if it's working leave it alone.

0 Kudos
j_iliz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The version of HP Advisor currently installed, as seen via the Preferences>About HP Advisor menu item, is V2.2 using build number 4445.

Since I have tried installing the supposed updated version many times, allowing repeat downloads and installs of that same file, it is not clear to me the real issue is that of trying to overwrite an already installed version. I only think it only looks that way because of multiple install trys of the that most updated version. If it is the case though, how does one link V2.2 build 4445 with that of SP45967 ?

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4523 238 1224
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have an answer to your question, sorry.

You can try saving the update, if you can, to the desk top, uninstall HP Advisor, run CCleaner's registry cleaner and install the update and restart.

Doing that may make things worse. You can always do a Windows restore point to undue any damage to the registry.

I don't want to seem harsh here, but this is my final post on the matter. HP Advisor, HP Update and basically any HP software, including all Media Smart software is poorly developed. This forum is filled with peoples problems associated with HP software, in which some of have found solutions, but most haven't.

The only HP software on my machine is Media Smart DVD and that is there because it's the only software that is available from HP that will play Blu-ray's and it's developed by Cyberlink.

My dv8, G60 and my mothers dv7 have none of these HP applications I have mentioned and in my opinion the computer is better off with out them.

Good luck with this ; maybe someone else with more time on their hands will be able to help. Just to make a note, all the people hare on the forum give up their free time to help, so if no one comes it's not the fault of HP.

If your machine is still under warrantee, you can get HP to help you directly.

0 Kudos
jhb54 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I started getting the same error tonight when i tried to update my dvd drive. My dvd drive door stop opening tonight after trying to burn a dvd and i tried eight and all i got was an i/o error and then now the drive went bad or something. I hate HP Computers and this one after having two months i had to return it to HP for repair and they said the MB was bad and it was replaced but was it or not. This one will be return to them and i am going to tell them to keep it and do not return it after fixing it or even if they send a new one. I gave $429.97 plus taxes and they can keep this thing for good as well and make more money on it.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation