Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

After HP replaced motherboard, Windows crashes about every 20 minutes

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
A few weeks ago my notebook stopped powering on. I sent it into HP for repairs, and they replaced the motherboard. When I got it back, it did power on, but it crashes and I get a blue screen of death fairly regularly, every 5-30 minutes. The error messages vary, here's a selection of them:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (dxgmms2.sys)

CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

My first thought was that it was a driver error, specifically a graphics driver error (I've received several notifications telling me the display driver has crashed but Windows recovered it), but neither rolling it back, nor updating it, nor uninstalling it and installing the version from HP's website fixed the issue. I did the same for virtually every other major driver, and did a full check to make sure every driver was completely up to date. I also used Memtest86 to check the integrity of the memory, and Seagate's tool to check the hard drive, both to no avail.

Is there anything else I should try? Is this possibly a problem with the repair itself that may require me to send the laptop in again?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,909
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @alsschrank,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I understand that you recently had the motherboard replaced by HP. Now your notebook crashed every 5-20 minutes with a graphic driver error. You have checked and all the drivers are up to date. Have you run the Windows troubleshooter? Have you run the HP Support Assistant ?  Have you checked for viruses and malware? MS Malicious Software Removal Tool (from Microsoft.com).  I suggest you do a backup if you have not yet done one. I suggest you try a sfc scan, this will scan for corrupted system files and try to repair them if any are found.

• Right click on the Windows button lower left corner and choose command prompt admin
  • Type sfc /scannow and press enter 
  • Wait for it to complete and restart your notebook.

Next, I would try a refresh, this will reinstall Windows but you have the  option to keep your personal data.  How to Refresh Windows 10 (from tenforums.com) @Brink to assist you with that process.

Please let me know the results.

To help visitors and members alike find solutions that have helped others, please consider selecting "Accepted Solution on the post that resolves your difficulty. This will give it more visibility and make it easier to find.  Please consider clicking the "Thumbs Up Icon" below  to say thanks for assisting you.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation