cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
rikesh942010 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

After Recovery Windows 8 is not activated

Product Info:

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j013ea Notebook PC

I was having few problems with my computer so using HP Recovery Media Creation I created a USB recovery Key, after using it I was able to factory reset everything but now my windows in not activated, I spoke to Microsoft but they told me to speak to HP about this matter, I am soo confused now 

I also decided to update to windows 8.1 to see if it solves any probelm as thats what I had before the factory reset but it is still the same and on the desktop there is a small message which says "Windows 8.1 Build 9600" 

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can someone plz HELP 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
11,348 10,963 247 607
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi rikesh942010, welcome to the HP Forums. If you are unable to regain activated status using this document:Windows 8 Product Activation you will have to contact support for assistance: In North America, call (800)-474-6836 outside of North America find your support number here HP Technical Support

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the help today HP installed my OS with a new key
0 Kudos
ComputerFrog Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have an identical problem. I iterated this to an HP support technician as you recommended. He told me because I was outside of warranty that he would transfer me to "someone that can help." I was transferred to an unknown, unpresented "technician" who offered paid services. After I told him I was looking for HP to solve the problem he promptly hung up on me.

What is one to do... Clearly this is a dysfunction that is somewhat common after scrolling a few forums through the internet. Why will HP not solve this for others? This update was RECENT and caused this issue. HP recently gave me an update that cannot be undone through system restore and now my computer is not activated.

Retired
Retired
11,348 10,963 247 607
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@ComputerFrog 

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
dcol Tutor
Tutor
11 11 0 1
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Same problem here. Bought a G4 used and had to do an HP recovery to get rid of all the junk. After the recovery the laptop was not activated. HP support won't help because I am not the origianl owner and laptop is just out of warranty.

Shouldn't the HP recovery also contain the activation info?

Now what do I do?

I guess there really is a legit reason to use a hack tool to activate Windows. Is this my only recourse?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
11,348 10,963 247 607
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi dcol. I understand you are not able to activate you used G4.

A recovery is pre-activated at the factory, and shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have the recovery media, or is the recovery partition still in tact?

If you would like me to provide recovery instructions, let me know the exact model number, and version of Windows installed.

Guide to finding your product number

Which Windows operating system am I running?

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

dancol Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok the issue is I am using the original recovery partition, but not the original drive. The main partition crashed on the original drive and I had to use an image from another G4 on a new hard drive, but replaced the recovery partition with the correct one. I did a hard reset recovery and it went fine except for the activation.

And no the recovery disks did not come with the laptop.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
11,348 10,963 247 607
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@dancol I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation