Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 49 (119,185 Views)
Accepted Solution

After reinstalling windows 7 on my hp laptop, the wireless internet does not work. Any help?

[ Edited ]

I have a G56-122US Notebook laptop with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. After having some sort of driver/virus that was freezing my computer, I reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Service Pack 1 on it using the same license key.

Now it can't connect to the internet through wireless. I've tried all the basics: pressing the WIFI enable/disable toggle key on my keyboard, restarting my computer, enabling disabling the internet connection in the network area, etc.

I've downloaded (on another computer and transferred to my laptop through a flash drive) and installed the updated BIOS for my machine (as well as 2 drivers listed below):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-96678-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

This wireless driver was the only Realtek one listed for my machine on this website so I attempted to install it but it failed:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-88591-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

I've also installed an updated ethernet driver (although I understand it's only for ethernet and not wireless, I did it anyways):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-87161-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

I made sure to restart my computer after the first two updates (the successful ones).

Under Device Manager I see 2 devices related to the wireless internet:

1. Other devices > Network Controller - it has a yellow warning sign next to it - the error is for having no drivers installed.

2. Network adapters > Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller - "This device is working properly."

At the bottom right of my computer, when I click the network icon, it says that "No connections are available". The troubleshooter is no help.

Under Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections, there's only one connection listed: Local Area Connection (Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller). It says "Network cable unplugged", so I assume that it's for the ethernet anyways (this is what I disabled, as poorly described earlier).

Realtek only provides drivers for audio on their website.

What should I do? How can I get my wireless internet to work again?

Thanks...

Accepted Solution

Re: After reinstalling windows 7 on my hp laptop, the wireless internet does not work. Any help?

Hi:

You have the Broadcom 4313 WLAN card which is why the Realtek drivers you tried did not work.

Here is the link to the latest drivers for your WLAN card.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3688868&swItem=ob-100089-1&mode=5

This is my trade secret.  Just plug the VEN # in the vendor box and the DEV # is the device box.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

It is pretty effective in identifying the hardware.

When that doesn't work, I try one or the other to at least get something.

When that doesn't work, I google the whole string and see what comes up.

Now you will never have to ask for help finding drivers again.  You can help others. 

Paul

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 49 (119,173 Views)

Re: After reinstalling windows 7 on my hp laptop, the wireless internet does not work. Any help?

Hi:

Please click on your "network controller" needing the drivers in the device manager.  That is your wireless adapter.

Then click on the details tab. In the Properties drop down list, select the second item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

Those will identify the make and model of your network adapter and I can send you the link to the drivers you need.

Paul

Top Student
Message 3 of 49 (119,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

...Where has this information been all of my life?! :)

Here's the Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_145C103C&REV_01

Side question: how would I find drivers like this in the future for myself? I see that this hardware ID information provides something like "vendor", "developer", "subsystem", and "revision" (or something similar to that) - is there some online website database I'm supposed to go to for finding the driver?

Thanks!

Provost
Message 4 of 49 (119,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

You have the Broadcom 4313 WLAN card which is why the Realtek drivers you tried did not work.

Here is the link to the latest drivers for your WLAN card.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

This is my trade secret.  Just plug the VEN # in the vendor box and the DEV # is the device box.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

It is pretty effective in identifying the hardware.

When that doesn't work, I try one or the other to at least get something.

When that doesn't work, I google the whole string and see what comes up.

Now you will never have to ask for help finding drivers again.  You can help others. 

Paul

Top Student
Message 5 of 49 (119,157 Views)

Thanks a lot! It worked (as expected :O)!

P.S. My laptop says "hi".

Provost
Message 6 of 49 (119,155 Views)

You're very welcome.

Hi, back at ya, laptop! 

Paul

Honor Student
Message 7 of 49 (116,709 Views)

Hi Paul,

I hope you would be able to help me out here. I just got myself a new laptop - HP 1000 installed with Windows 7 64-bit. Strange thing is that I can connect to the WiFi at the university, but not the WiFi at home. After typing the network security key, it says 'network security key mismatch'. I'm certain I type the right key... I have no idea what's wrong... Please please please help me! Thanks.

Provost
Message 8 of 49 (116,710 Views)

Hi, izcremecake:

My area of expertise is pretty limited to finding hardware drivers for folks.

I don't have much experience troubleshooting odd-ball networking issues.

I looked up the error you are getting, and came across the link below.

You can try some of the suggestions listed there, and hopefully you will be able to connect at home.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/i-continue-to-get-the-message-...

You can also google the error and find many other posts regarding this issue.

I would check your router's wireless security menu and make sure it is set to WPA2-Personal with AES encryption, and check your wireless network adapter configuration under the advanced settings and make sure that is also set to WPA2-Personal with AES encryption.

You may be typing the right security key but if the notebook is trying to connect to the router using a different security mode, then it isn't going to work.

Good luck!

Paul

Honor Student
Message 9 of 49 (116,688 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I'll try again and hopefully everything will miraculously be okay. :)

Provost
Message 10 of 49 (116,666 Views)

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation