Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Teacher
Teacher
69 8 5
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Airplane mode and Wi-Fi button issues -- a Windows 10 bug?

Pavilion g6-1d21dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

A lot of people seem to be having trouble with the Wi-Fi button and with the airplane mode icon displaying when it shouldn't in Windows 10. Is there some kind of explanation or fix?

I did a clean install of Windows 10, and the HP Wi-Fi button driver was installed automatically by the Windows installer, or at least I'm pretty sure it was. I seem to recall seeing it listed in Device Manager or someplace.

Anyway, the button was working fine, but today I tried to switch my Wi-Fi off using the F12 button, and it didn't work. I clicked on the Wi-Fi icon in the task bar and switched to airplane mode that way. That worked, and the light on the Wi-Fi button changed from white to orange. I still couldn't use the F12 button to turn airplane mode off. I turned airplane mode off manually and reconnected to my Wi-Fi, but the airplane mode icon continued to show on the task bar, even though I was connected to the Internet, able to browse web pages, etc. I rebooted, and still the same problem. In network settings I went in and turned airplane mode off there (even though I was already connected), but the Wi-Fi button is still not working.

Is this all a Windows 10 bug, or is there a fix? I noticed similar behavior on a friend's newer HP laptop (a Notebook 15 model) that came with Windows 10 installed--i.e., the airplane mode icon displaying despite the system having an active Wi-Fi connection.

Thanks in advance for any advice or explanation.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Diones_DC-Info Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello. Welcome to HP forum.

Question: Did you install the Airplane mode switch driver? It's responsible for the wireless button function.

Airplane switch.JPG

You need to check if your laptop have some missing driver to install. Install last version driver for Airplane mode and test it. It mus work.

If my answer helps you, please vote clicking in Joinha.JPGbutton.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
69 8 5
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Diones_DC-Info, thank you for your reply and for welcoming me to the forum, but since I have been a member for close to five years and you joined about five days ago, I should be the one to welcome you.

The driver you refer to is called the HP Wireless Button Driver on HP laptops. As I mentioned, this driver was installed automatically when I did a clean install of Windows 10. It worked fine at first, but for some reason it is no longer working. To see the driver I have to view hidden devices in Device Manager, because the device (HP Wireless Button Driver) is showing up as "not connected to the computer," as is "HID-compliant wireless radio controls," which appears under Human Interface Devices in conjunction with the HP Wireless Button Driver. This doesn't make sense, of course, since the button is a built-in device.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the solution will be as simple as installing a driver.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation