cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BrokeSpectre
Level 1
11 10 0 1
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

Another Broken Spectre XT Left Hinge Issue

HP Recommended
envy spectre xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Well the left hinge on this supposedly high end laptop has broke off from the back panel, seperating it from the screen.  Ive done a little research and apparently this is a very common issue with this expensive ultrabook! Why would you make a laptop of this cost with a plastic hinge held together with glue! Ive been very gentle with this computer, this problem is a design flaw and everyone that encounters it should have it fixed free of charge no matter the warrenty date if you dont intend to lose customers! I would understand if it was a budget laptop or an issue that was unique to a few users but at this point with so many people having the same issue its time to do something.  I would HOPE for some type of remedy here as Ive always been a hp customer and this is just wrong to have such an cheap build on a high end model.

20150228_042455.jpg20150228_042504.jpg

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
visruth
Level 15
13,019 12,958 1,699 3,964
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi:

I've escalated your issue, someone from HP should be contacting you soon here.

Regards

Visruth
0 Kudos
BrokeSpectre
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 1
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good. That would certainly be nice if something is done about this.  Id understand if it was really old, or if it was mishandled, or even if it was something other than an quality control issue, but plastic hinges glued to the cover on a 1000 dollar laptop is a bit much to swallow.  Its no wonder theres so many reports of this same problem.  Ill await someone to contact me and report back on whatever happens.  Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos
george-p
Retired
Retired
15,312 9,281 123 369
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @BrokeSpectre ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message after the weekend from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details)

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
0 Kudos
RaviSharma3478
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem here, my first laptop that cost over 1000 and my THIRD HP Laptop that is unusable due to a broken hinge. The other two i let go because they were each atleast 2years old but this one saddens me. it broke within the first month of expired warranty (laptop was 13 months old when i HEARD the crack). I tried reaching HP because it was a defective hinge and not my "carelessness" with the laptop. however they want to charge me 200$ for the repair due to it being out of warranty. thats unacceptable. photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

0 Kudos
danny-r
Retired
Retired
8,250 7,081 144 478
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RaviSharma3478

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Sleekaman
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well dicussion boards are definitely a great conduit to post your experiences which gives other users
(customers) perspectives on service, quality and warranties. Here's my story:

My Daughter purchased a great laptop HP Spectre XT for University from HP's Business Notebook Division,
the cost to her, est. $1300 (can.) back in 2012

1) Feb-2013 - she experienced a hinge/lcd screen peeling defect, she had it repired under warranty.

2) Oct-2014 - she experienced the same hinge/lcd issue again, I called support via these forums under Jeffhelp
and was assisted to correct this problem (out of warranty) free of charge. Repair was prompt and
professional, happy with the repair. I asked the local repair depot here in Canada if this problem would
re-occur again, she assured me that it should not happen again.

3) Oct-2015 - she experiences the same hinge/lcd issue again, on the left side the panel is prying open when you
try to open the LCD. I posted assistance on the forums again, got a ticket and call back from HP support (Naresh),
and was indicated from him that the 2nd repair was performed free of charge only for that incident. All future
issues and costs to repair would have to be absorbed by me.

Serice is great, warranty is average, but product quality is a big question. How is it possible for a specific
component on a laptop to fail 3 times and not deemed to be a major defect to resolve ?  I'm stumped about the response and have a laptop that cannot be used anymore.

0 Kudos
Tinpusher
Level 3
41 38 5 4
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We're all stumped. I've had three repairs done and only paid for the third one (with a 40% discount still over $150) and HP will still not accept that there is a sub-standard part being used, not just on the Spectre but other models too.

My most recent repair came back about a month ago and from the first time I opened it, the left hinge was tight and creaking. Its only a matter of time before it fails again. The case manager this last time made all the right noises about escalation and testing the defective units but I have heard nothing back. Maybe time to get back in touch?

A laptop is by design a portable device that has to have a screen that opens and closes. If it can't do that successfully for more than a few months, then it is not fit for purpose and we should have lifetime free repairs and compensation for loss of use or HP should buy them all back.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Sleekaman
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tinpusher, thanks for your comments, basically from my last post dated: Oct. 27, 2015, I didn't hear back from HP
Support (suprised, I thought they would offer me free repair or even a replacement, but didn't think so). Your comments
on lifetime support on a defective design based on the LCD hinge is definitely a great suggestion, maybe someone
in HP Upper management would listen. BTW, since I have an unusable/broken Sprectre laptop, my daughter was in emergency dire needs of a replacement for her University studies I could not wait any longer from HP response, I have since purchased a replacement. "Lenovo" was the choice of brand, HP was not even considered here. I bought her a 'T' series laptop and she is tremendiously overwhelmed by the solid construction of the lcd hinges (steel), open and close and
nothing to get loose or peel open from, Wow, bullet proof indeed expect it to last longer then the old HP Sprectre XT.

0 Kudos
BrokeSpectre
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 1
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I forgot to report back, but, hp did fix my issue out of warrenty (if they hadnt my new laptop woildnt have been an hp). Now thats not what they offered to begin with. First a discount then a bigger one, then free. Dont give up. I spent a good 45 mins talking before they agreed to it. I asked the rep to ask her supervisor if it could be done sonce I KNEW it had been done for many others. If you happen to be an hp cusotomer for other products let em know thell lose your business. End the end i very satisfied. They even overnighted the package both ways
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation