cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jasonyork
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Are the 2 recovery partitions required

HP Recommended

Would like to resize and reorganize the partitions on my ENVY dv7 7298 laptop.

I see that there are 2 partitions labled as recovery.  One is 400 MB and has diagonal hatching through it.  THe other is almost 30 GB.  I understand the larger one is the recovery image I need to recover the computer - but what is the second one? 

It looks like 100% of the drive space is free.  Do I need this partition and why?

Also curious to know what the minimum size for the EFI partition is, because it also seems to be 100% free from data.  I want to shrink it as much as possible.

Finally (and this is probably more a rant than something anyone can help with) why don't I get a windows CD or recovery CDs with my purchase any more - looked on teh HP site and I have to pay over $40 for this?  Windows CDs used to come with the machines.  We're spending $1,000 plus on something, and you can't throw in a $0.50 disc?  This reflects poorly on my perception of HP machines... 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,455
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have software on the machine to burn Recovery Disks.Move your mouse to the upper right corner of the screen, click Search, and type recovery

In the search results on the left side of the screen, click Recovery Manager .

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If a User Account Control window asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes. When Recovery Manager opens, look at the right column_click on 'Recovery Media Creation'.

I highly recommend you burn this set before you start messing with the partitions because Recovery from the partition usually no longer works after altering partitions.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Jasonyork
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response Cheryl.

I have created recovery discs for future use.

When I attempt to resize partitions, I can only resize the C: partition.  Windows is supposed to take up 20GB (according to various websites), however, I can not shrink this partition smaller than 450 GB.   Do you know why this might be? 

Also - why would the recovery partition be 1.5 times larger than the OS is supposed to take up?

I have left the recovery partitions in place andthe boot up F11 recovery function still seems to work.  (did not try a full restore, but the process was initiated and option was available)

0 Kudos
Hewjr100
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just read your post. Just to let you know, if you already created recovery media you, you can delete recovery partiton. Best way is thru recovery manager in windows GUI.

Next AFAIK from experience leave the 400 mb partition alone. It more or less acts similar to a windows repair disk, but it is on the hdd instead.

BTW when you delete recovery partition, the recovery manager also extends the c drive automatically, so you will have two or three partitions, depending if you disk is MBR or GPT?

Henry
Windows 8
Hp Envy m6-1225dx Notebook
750 Gb Hdd 8 Gb Ram Intel i5 2.6 Dual Core
Intel Hd 4000 Graphics
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation