cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lkjhgfd
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Are these laptop types good for dual booting

HP Recommended

I am looking to buy a laptop, and HP seems to offer some pretty good ones. But I want to run the laptop as a dual boot, with a linux mint operating system alongside the preinstalled windows 8.1 OS. The laptop types are listed below:

HP Pavilion 15-p245sa 15.6” Laptop - White

HP Pavilion 15-p247sa 15.6” Laptop - Blue

HP Pavilion 15-p239sa 15.6” Laptop - Silver

HP Pavilion 13-b080sa 13.3" Laptop - Silver

HP Pavilion 15-p165sa 15.6" Laptop - Neon Pink

HP Pavilion 15-p246sa 15.6” Laptop - Red

HP Pavilion 15-p154sa 15.6" Laptop - Purple & Grey

HP Pavilion 15-p249sa 15.6” Laptop - Purple

HP Pavilion 15-p248sa 15.6" Laptop

Please advise as to whether these types are capable of that. I know they are all windows 8.1 devices, so have UEFI and secure boot systems, can these be switched off or deactivated so that linux can be installed without trouble?

Has anyone here had experience putting a linux operating system (preferably mint) onto any of these types, or onto anything very similar?

Do these types reliably load it, does the dual boot configuration get disrupted every time one updates either windows or the linux OS?

Are there any specific hardware features on these which cannot work under linux due to lack of drivers?

I also know that  some linux operating systems (the main ones) are sometimes given secure boot keys so they can load without it needing to be turned off, does linux mint have keys which work on hp laptops or must secure boot be deactivatef fully for mint to be installed?

Do any of these devices have problems comparable to RT and ARM devices, (which i have heard brick themselves if linux is installed)?

I have deliberately gone for a selection of laptops which use the i3 processor, is this a good choice for linux/windows dual booting?

Can fast-boot/instant-boot be deactivated on all these types, I've heard it can cause problems for linux installs as it means windows never truly turns off?

If something goes wrong during the installation of linux will backup media (either done with windows 8.1's internal system image making tool, macrium reflect or with any bundled Hp recovery software placed on the laotp at time of sale) be able to return the system to it's original configuration?

Which specific type of BIOS/UEFI do these devices contain, anyone who has booted up these systems and taken a look under those advanced options tabs should have been able to spot this?

Does the BIOS/UEFI contain options for "legacy boot" or turning off secure boot but staying in UEFI mode (anyone with a device of this type could Hold the "shift" key while booting their machine go into the advanced recovery settings and look under troubleshoot-->advanced options-->UEFI/BIOS/firmware  settings to see if these options are available, they wouldn't have to make any changes to their system's state while doing this, just have a look and report what options they see)?

Opinions of those who have installed any linux operating system as a dual boot on these hard ware types, or closely comparable ones would be very greatly appreciated.

Urgent answers would be appreciated, preferably by tomorrow (wednesday 1st) morning UK time, as tomorrow is the only chance i will have in ages to get to a shop and buy a laptop.

Thank You

1 REPLY 1
kkguy24
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually have a hp laptop with UEFI bios and yes they are capable of dual boot.

I have done it before and it does work, I'm not so sure about Linux or mac but windows definitely works.

If you need help with dual booting let me know ^_^

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation