cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
_lauren_
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Automatic BIOS update?

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavillion laptop and suddenly a noise happened which sounded like the fan, but was louder than usual. The screen froze too. So I shut down the computer and it was normal again, until about half and hour later when it happened again. 

However, this time my whole screen was taken over by a message asking me if I wanted to run a BIOS update. I clicked yes and it did its thing and now my computer is back to normal again.

I was just wondering what it actually did and what the update means, because I searched it on google and the first things to come up were about viruses and things like that, which has me a bit worried. 

So if anyone can tell me what the update did or means I'd appreciate it so much.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,850
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have HP Support Assistant installed, it sounds very much like it downloaded and applied a bios update - this will normally cause the fan to spin much faster for a short while and the notebook will reboot to complete the update.

A bios update writes directly to the chip on your Motherboard and updates the information held here.  Basically, the bios is responsible for 'organising' all your notebook hardware when you first turn the machine on and is the first step in the process of loading your Windows operating system.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Samyx
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have a Pavillion g7 need a bois update to turn on a feature to allow mi run Server 2012. help
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation