Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (7,034 Views)

BCD Error Code 0x0000034 Windows 10

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP ENVY TouchSmart 4-1215d
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I own an HP ENVY TouchSmart 4-1215dx Ultrabook and I just recently ran into the blue screen of death with this problem.

The original operating system on my latop was Windows 8, but I recently upgraded to Windows 10 (few months ago), Windows 10 was working fine until I booted up my computer and this popped up.

I am unable to go into System Recovery (I press F11 and it just goes in a loop).

I am able to do diagnostic tests but all of them come back PASSED.

I did not make back up USBs and when I look up my drivers on this website, it does not have the offer of ordering back up USBs.

I cannot open command prompt, either.

I used my other laptop (has Windows 10) to use the media creation tool and put it on a USB but that also failed (maybe I'm not doing it right?).  Should I revert back to Windows 7 on this laptop for the tool to work???

The computer I am currently using is old and is running on Vista, so I don't think I can create a creation tool drive with it?

And there are two screws on the back of my computer that I cannot get out (they loosen but they do not want to come out) since I saw a solution is taking out the battery, holding on the power key, and then putting the battery back in.

I really don't want to spend a $60 (warranty is up on it) with HP trying to fix it since I feel like they'll just tell me things I already know.

I am at a lost right now, if anyone can help me on here that would be great!  And I would be very thankful.

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 6 (7,006 Views)

Re: BCD Error Code 0x0000034 Windows 10

HI there @snszymik

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that you are receiving a "Your PC needs to be repaired. Error code: 0x0000034" on your HP ENVY TouchSmart 4-1215dx Ultrabook. 

I did some research for you on the error that you are receiving. Every solution I have found has to do with using Recovery Media to do the Repair on your Notebook. Here is the link for you to be able to order the Windows 8 Recovery Media you need. The link is called HP Support - Order software and driver media

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (6,939 Views)

So I did this, bought this USB for recovery and it is not working!

Now I get the blue screen of death with the sad smiley face and the laptop being restarted!  AN ENDLESS LOOP!  No more BCD Error Code message...just a loop from blue screen to HP start to blue screen to HP start....THIS IS FRUSTRATING.

I did say in my original post that I upgraded to Windows 10, do you think that is why the computer isn't fixed??

This thing has me pissed off.

I hope I can return the USB because it was a waste of money.

I'm trying the USB again, but I don't think it will work. :|

Anyone else on here with a solution?

Retired
Message 4 of 6 (6,931 Views)

Hi there @snszymik

When you start the Notebook, do you see a spot at all that says to press ESC for boot options? If so, have you tried to press ESC, go to the Advanced Boot options and select to boot from USB?

Here is a thread from Microsoft that may help. It is called Error Code: 0xc0000034 in Windows 8. I know that you had Windows 10, but the troubleshooting steps should be same. 

If you are still having issues, I would suggest the following link to create a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

That way if the USB doesn't work, you can address that issue right away. 

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know how it goes! 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (6,921 Views)

Yes, that is exactly what I did; I went into boot options and booted from the USB, from there it goes into recovery manager and does this: reformatting the Windows partition of the hard drive, copying files, and restoring files to the hard drive.

After it is finished I click continue and it restarts the computer.

Unfortuneately, after the restart the blue sad smiley face comes up saying "we ran into a problem, we'll see what's wrong and restart" and the computer restarts...then the blue smiley comes up again with the same message and the computer restarts again.

It's an endless loop, it doesn't stop.

Also, the case number and phone number thing with HP, you need to pay for that, right?

Since last time I called they wanted to charge me because my computer isn't under warranty anymore.

Retired
Message 6 of 6 (6,907 Views)

Hi there!

Please make sure that other than the recovery media, you have removed any and all other USB devices. Please make sure that you have disconnected all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Did you try the steps from the Microsoft Forums post? The post had said: 

"Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 installation media.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD-ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will look for problems on the hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: If the automatic repair doesn’t help to repair the startup files, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advance Options.

Refer to the steps:
a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click on command Prompt.
g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:
Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
Bootrec /rebuildbcd" 

Did you happen to try these steps? 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation