cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bortos_c
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

BIOS Recovery for HP Spectre XT TouchSmart 15-4000en

HP Recommended
Spectre XT TouchSmart 15-4000e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody! I have a Spectre XT TouchSmart 15-4000en on which I did a clean install of Windows 10. After doing all the updates, I tried to update the Bios, using this update (designed for Windows 8): http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66790.exe

The tool ran apparently fine and afterwards the computer restarted. However, now the computer won't boot - it just remains stuck after powering on - keyboard backlight turns on, but the screen remains black.

I have tried to restore the BIOS using these instructions, but to no avail http://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02693833

I have the following problems:

1. I can't create a recovery USB flash, because the BIOS update .exe just returns an error "BIOS did not support InsydeFlash". Where do I get the BIOS update files? Do they have to be named in a specific way?

2. I can't get the computer to enter BIOS recovery mode. I followed the following steps: turn the power off and take out the AC adapter; hold Win+B (also tried Fn+B); Plug the USB stick containing "01886.bin" found in the BIOS update .exe; plug the AC adapter; press the power button; release Win+B/Fn+B. --- After doing this nothing happens. Tried all 3 USB ports, tried 2 different USB sticks but nothing happens - the screen remains black and computer won't respond

Please help... What am I doing wrong?

Later edit:

I created a HP_TOOLS USB flash, onto which I copied the BIOS .bin (01886.BIN, as extracted from the BIOS update installer) in the following locations: in the root folder and in the BIOS\Current\ folder.

Still, the computer won't enter the BIOS recovery mode. After taking the steps described above, the laptop powers on, keyboard backlight comes on - and that's it: USB activity led won't flash, screen remains black.

Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 16,751 961 2,185
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bortos_c,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre XT TouchSmart 15-4000en and issues with BIOS recovery. I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!Smiley Happy.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
hp15_4010nr
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mrstenter.

I had same problem as @bortos_c, after I update bios F.4 F.12 on my HP Spectre IT TouchSmart notebook 15-4010nr Laptop.

""

I tried to update the Bios, using this update (designed for Windows 8): http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66790.exe

The tool ran apparently fine and afterwards the computer restarted. However, now the computer won't boot - it just remains stuck after powering on - keyboard backlight turns on, but the screen remains black.

I have tried to restore the BIOS using these instructions, but to no availhttp://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02693833

I have the following problems:

1. I can't create a recovery USB flash, because the BIOS update .exe just returns an error "BIOSdid not support InsydeFlash". Where do I get the BIOS update files? Do they have to be named in a specific way?

2. I can't get the computer to enter BIOS recovery mode. I followed the following steps: turn the power off and take out the AC adapter; hold Win+B (also tried Fn+B); Plug the USB stick containing "01886.bin" found in the BIOS update .exe; plug the AC adapter; press the power button; release Win+B/Fn+B. --- After doing this nothing happens. Tried all 3 USB ports, tried 2 different USB sticks but nothing happens - the screen remains black and computer won't respond

Please help... What am I doing wrong?

Later edit:

I created a HP_TOOLS USB flash, onto which I copied the BIOS .bin (01886.BIN, as extracted from the BIOS update installer) in the following locations: in the root folder and in theBIOS\Current\ folder.

Still, the computer won't enter the BIOS recovery mode. After taking the steps described above, the laptop powers on, keyboard backlight comes on - and that's it: USB activity led won't flash,screen remains black.""

So sad! Why I do this stupid thing to update bios.

Really need help please!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks for every one can help.

dopon
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  @bortos_c and @hp15_4010nr

I am experiencing exactly the same kind of BIOS problem like you did a few months ago. Have you found a solution and recovered your laptop ? If yes, how ? I am using 15-4010nr.

barbarbar
2 2 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For anyone finding this thread: My solution to this exact problem (black screen, recovery doesn't work) was as follows:

- Warning: First make sure you go through the steps already mentioned in the opening post. If that does not work, then use this as a last resort.

- Take off the underside cover.

- Disconnect the harddrive,

- Take out any SSD you may have in the mSata slot,

- Disconnect the battery,

- Disconnect the BIOS backup battery (small cr2032 buttoncell battery)

- Press the power button a few times, clearing any residual power.

- Using another computer, download the UEFI recovery, install this on a blank USB drive,

- Download the BIOS update package, unzip the containing files a few times until you find the ".bin" file.

- Copy the ".bin" file to

- the root of the USB drive,

- the folders in "usbdrive\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS" , "usbdrive\Hewlett-Packard\BIOSUpdate".

- I copied it to all subfolder, I wasn't sure where it would look.

- Safely remove the usb drive :Wink:

- Put the USB flash drive in the HP laptop with the problem, on my laptop the USB port on the right worked first time

- Connect onlythe main battery to the motherboard

- Connect the power supply to the laptop

- Press and hold Windows+B, then power on the device, it should start to update/flash the BIOS to the version on the USB flash drive.

- When this is finished, power off and take the USB flash drive back out.

- Connect the BIOS batteries and check again if it will boot. It will say that there is no boot drive (Yay, the BIOS works again...). Power off again.

- Reconnect the harddrive (and SSD)

- Power on again, make sure it still works.

- Screw the backcover back on.

If this does not work, you can try leaving the batteries (both main battery and BIOS backup battery) disconnected for a few hours, this may reset the BIOS. If you're still stuck, then I don't know...

ehg
Level 2
8 6 1 5
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem today on my Spectre XT 13-2050NR.

@barbarbar, I have  a couple questions:

1. What system did you successfully apply this fix to?
  2. Which "UEFI Recovery" download did you use (SP# if you have it)?
  3. Did you rename the .bin file on the USB drive as some on the forum have suggested?

Thanks for any reply...

ehg
Level 2
8 6 1 5
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After ~ 3.5 hours of googling, I've found the magic bullet!!:

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics

and scroll down to the bottom; the thing you want is called:

"HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key"

It's a 1.7Gb download that requires an 8Gb USB flash drive; this thing is intended for:

1. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI),
  2. legacy HP Vision Diagnostics, or
  3. In addition to diagnostics, it now supports the recovery of a corrupted BIOS on supported systems.

That last one is, of course, the thing hundreds of people on this forum are looking for!!

After creating the USB drive, I read the .xml manual from the root of the drive and followed the directions to recover a bricked BIOS.  The first option says to just put the key in and power up the system normally (no Win+B, counting seconds, pulling HDs, etc).  I thought "this is never going to work", but gave it a shot anyway.  The first time I pressed power, the lights came on for a few seconds and then everything went dark.  Before giving up and going back to Win+B+prayers, I tried pressing the power button one more time and almost fell off my chair when a few seconds later the USB light starts flashing and pretty soon I saw the HP BIOS Update screen appear on my bricked laptop!!

Part of the reason for the 1.7Gb installer size is that is comes with BIOS files for hundreds of HP systems (no additional downloads for your specific system).  You will need to use the BIOSCopy.exe program to copy your specific BIOS down into \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current, but after that it's pretty straightforward.

Hope this helps some more poor souls looking to resurrect dead BIOS's!!

dopon
5 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

barbarbar, I cannot express how grateful I am for your help. Your instructions just worked out for my dead laptop which has been sitting in the closet for a year. Removing and remounting the batteries was the key point, I suppose. Now I am using my Spectre XT back. Thank you very much again.

barbarbar
2 2 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the feedback.

The service usb-stick that was also mentioned in this thread should be the accepted answer. The HP support staff should make this their default answer to BIOS or UEFI recovery questions. My answer with taking out the batteries is really the absolute last resort, as it might do damage when unexperienced persons open their laptop.

@barbarbar, I have  a couple questions:

1. What system did you successfully apply this fix to?
    HP SPECTRE XT TOUCHSMART 15-4000ED
  2. Which "UEFI Recovery" download did you use (SP# if you have it)?
    The downloads page for this model has a EUFI recovery download, I think it was under BIOS or recovery media. But hte service usb-stick option may be better now.
  3. Did you rename the .bin file on the USB drive as some on the forum have suggested?
    No, I did not rename it. I put it in any place that would make sense, the manual/instruction are not clear on where the new firmware should be copied too.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation