Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (1,054 Views)

BIOS Update Bricked

Product Name: HP ProBook 450 G3 Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently updated My laptop (HP Probook 450 G3 Notebook) and after first restart, the machine shows HP logo and then (Powe Led Switch off) and restarts, earlier version was 1.05 which from the upgrade switched to 1.05. I have tried combination keys method windows key+ B button, also made a recovery Flash drive from the latest BIOS, but no luck.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 7 (1,050 Views)

Re: BIOS Update Bricked

I also tried to find out the version installed in the machine which was 1.05 which may have helped, but on HP site there is only 1.10 version available.

PhD Student
Message 3 of 7 (1,033 Views)

Hi

There seem to be some earlier versions available, and I list then below...

sp74289.exe (13 MB) 

sp74169.exe (13 MB) 

and they may be available here, if the link is valid...   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/

Top Student
Message 4 of 7 (871 Views)

For those of you with this issue, you aren't alone - we can confirm that the 1.10 BIOS update certainly does brick the ProBook 450 G3. If you updated and are now stuck, here are some instructions that should help you get back:

1. Power on the computer on A/C power. It will show the HP logo briefly and then restart (loop).
  2. While the HP logo is showing briefly tap the "ESC" key repeatedly until you see the startup menu.
  3. Enter the BIOS setup. Choose the 3rd option down on the main page, "Update System BIOS." Check the box to "Allow BIOS Updates Using a Network."
  4. Plug in a network cord into the LAN port. If you need to configure an IP address, proxy server, or other configuration, enter "Network Configuration Settings." Otherwise, if your Internet connection is "Plug-n-Play" (DHCP) skip this step.
  5. Click "Check HP.com for BIOS Updates."
  6. It will find the original BIOS file (1.01 I think) and downgrade your BIOS to that version. You would now be able to use the computer.
  7. Avoid updating again until HP can resolve the faulty 1.10 BIOS release. There are slightly older releases that seem to work if you must update past 1.01 (1.06 possibly).

That said, the ProBook 450 G3 has been a nightmare for us. We have deployed 11 of them in our office, and 3 of them are having freezing and out of memory issues. It is not an issue with our software (Win 10 1511, Office 2010 or 2013) as we have many Probook 450 G2's that have no issues.

Grad Student
Message 5 of 7 (815 Views)

For unit in BIOS 1.10, do following steps and should be able to solve the problem.

1. Hitting F10 when you see the HP splash screen

2. In the BIOS seelecting Apply Factory Defaults and Exit option.

450g3.JPG

3. The unit will then power cycle two more times and boot into Windows.

Please let me know whether above steps fix the issue or not.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (808 Views)

This worked for me, thanks for the fix!

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (634 Views)

Please also try latest BIOS from HP.com, 01.11

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation