Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
compaq presario cq61
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi! I have a problem with booting. When I try to start my laptop my screen is black and caps lock and num lock just blink every 4 seconds. So I go to your page for BIOS download. Well, when I dl and install BIOS recovery for Compaq Presario CQ61-420EM i get some InsydeFlash app, what is it for ? I saw in the video that you get HP system BIOS update utility tool, and that is the problem for me, i don't get this application, instead I get this "InsydeFlash" that I don't know what it is for!? HELP PLEASE!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @patrik13,

Thank you for the update and confirmation. 

Would you be kind enough to mark the post that resolved  your issue as accepted solution to help others who may have the same experience as you.

Thanks in advance.

Good Luck with the repairs.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @patrik13,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a fantastic site to find answers and information!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I grasp that shen you start your notebook   the screen is black and Caps Lock and Num Lock keys  blink every 4 seconds. You attempted to do a bios recovery but were unsure of how to proceed.

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code  for you to confirm that it is indeed a bios issue.

Should that be the case here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS as a guide. 

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as you. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the   Thumbs Up   icon below.  

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your response!!

So, I tried this  HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS ..but, when I download the HP system BIOS update utility I actually don't get this programme -.- , instead I get some "InsydeFlash V3" and I don't know what to do ?!

Here is the proof for you :

Screenshot_4.png

HP Recommended

Hi @patrik13,

Thank you  for the update.

The screens may look different then the description in the document but you are doing great.  You just need to click start and follow the prompts.  Do ensure that you are connected to AC power when completing this step.

If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to reply back.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hey, should I start this programme on computer that is working or on laptop that is not working (won't boot as I mentioned) ?

Because when I start on my computer I get this failure :

Screenshot_2.png

PLEASE HELP ME!! 😄

HP Recommended

Hi @patrik13,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you confirmed from the document that the blinks are indication a bios issue and not a CPU failure?  Different blinks indicate different situations.   If you have confirmed  that it is the bios I would try restoring the bios first and then reattempting the update.  There is a link in my previous post to assist with restoring the bios. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS which has a section on creating an image on an USB that may also be of aid.

Should you like further assistance please provide your exact model of CQ61. There is a link in my previous post to assist you with locating that information.

Please keep me updated.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

my Presario model is CQ61-420EM . So, I went throu the document again : HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code  and I don't see the answer here. Here I go again: when I start my lapopt, power button is constantly on, and then CAPS and NUM LOCK start blinking every 4 seconds and it lasts forever, they don't pause or shut down.. Just blinking every 4 secs.. I think that it's BIOS problem, or am I wrong? Please help me!:)

Screenshot_1.png

I do this, then go to :

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Then I download Screenshot_4.png

And, when I install it I get some InSydeFlash app instead of :

Screenshot_5.png

How to get this HP system update utility and not Insyde(that I get) ?!

Can you maybe send me (transfer) this BIOS iso somehow ?

I would be so thankful.!

HP Recommended

Hi @patrik13.

Thank you for your reply.

How many times does it blink  before it pauses for 4 seconds and restarts?

The number of blinks is the indicator of the issue.  Are the blinks all the same length or are there short and long blinks?

If the blinks are all the same length refer to the second table in the document. 

Please confirm your findings.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

it blinks 1 time every 4 seconds and blinks are same length..

HP Recommended

Hi @patrik13,

Thank you for posting the results.

As per the document 1 blink indicates that the CPU has malfunctioned and it not a bios issue.  This is likely why you were having difficulties trying to restore or update the bios.  If you are in warranty please contact HP support for servicing. 

If you are not in warranty HP would be still be able to provide service options.

You could also consider a local computer repair shop or replacing the CPU yourself. Should you be interested in atempting the self repair,here is a link to the Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC and HP G61 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 3, page 4, item 10 for a list of recommended replacement processors.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.