Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17g-121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As the title indicates I cannot install any 15000 builds because of this error.
Error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 System_PTE_Misuse
"The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"
I have tried in order 15046, 15041, 15025, and 15002 from mounted ISO in Windows 10 14393.726 to upgrade.
I have tried all 15000 series builds from mounted ISO in Windows 10 14393.726 to clean install on a newly created partition in disk management.
I have tried Windows Update from Windows 10 14986.1001 to 15046 just because it use UUP type update.
They all fail on first reboot with error noted above.
I was able to upgrade from 14393.726 to 14986.1001 using a mounted ISO. This is the highest build I can get at this point.

I have included a link to my OneDrive that contains a zip file of setuperr.log and setupact.log from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther of the last failure of the Windows Update from Windows 10 14986.1001 to 15046. These files seem to be important in troubleshooting this type of error according the hundreds of pages that I visited on the internet.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At32rVqOciykg-5-y86DomAbIBkJPA

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

This is not HP related issue. Problem is connected to the Windows BETA testing builds (Windows Insider).

As you probably know, the latest Insider build was released some days ago > https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/02/28/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

I recommend you visit the Microsoft forums >  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us   and report your issues there for beta testing Windows 10. There you will probably find more Microsoft employees and Windows 10 beta testers (insiders). Thank you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi there.

This SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE issue is not a Microsoft or Windows issue. The issue is in the latest revision of your BIOS. Where a portion of code kept in memory from the BIOS is not unlocked for Windows to write too, thus Windows throws a SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE stop error. HP have been alerted to this issue, have reproduced the issue, found the cause and have just validated a fix internally. Expect a new bios update to be released in the next few weeks with a remedy to the BSOD issue. 

Do not worry too much, Microsoft have blocked the Windows 10 Creators Update from their end for this particular model of machine until HP rolls out the new patched BIOS update.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.