Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
laelti Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery/Adapter problem?

HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, when I plug the charger in I get the message 

"Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected. However your computer exceeds the power rating for the Smart AC Adapter connected. Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter."

I am using the adapter provided when I got the computer, which is the only adapter I have ever used with it, and never had this problem until a couple of days ago (I have had the laptop since January 2015). Once that message appears the laptop will not charge, and will not show the charger as connected - if I run a battery check it will say the battery is fine but the AC is not connected. The light by the adapter will either be solid white or flashing white.

However, the laptop will charge when it is turned off, and if the battery is removed will run fine on just the AC Adapter. If the laptop dies with the battery in, not recognising the adapter, it will begin to charge once off and will continue to charge if turned back on - a battery check now shows the battery is ok, and the light by the adapter is solid orange. Once I remove the charger the same problem occurs when I need to reconnect it.

Where is this problem likely to be coming from, and how can I go about fixing it? The battery and charger seem to be working on their own, but something seems to be going wrong between them. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
37777 5729 9907
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery/Adapter problem?

Seems like I got this message once and this made it go away:

To get rid of this power adapter nag:

Open task manager/startup  and scroll down to HPMessage Services

Right Click and Open File Location

In the file manager you will see the HP start up files

SmrtAdptr.exe is the culprit

Rename it. ----- I used 0SmrtAdptr.exe-----

Source:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/How-do-I-get-rid-of-the-quot-HP-...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation