Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ggsmith3 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery Issues - HP Envy x360

HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on an issue I'm having with my HP envy x360 battery.

About 2 weeks ago, I started up my lap top to find an error message telling me that my battery was 'found to have insuficient power' and that I need to replace it. The message then refered me to a generic HP support website. This lap top is about 2 years old and I have taken care to unplug it as soon as the battery is full for all its life, and to run the battery down before charging it, so I was quite surprised to find this message. Sure enough, my computer lasted about 10 minutes before running out of power. I pluged it in, and it functioned flawlessly.

Since the first issue, I have been itermitantly getting the same message about the battery - sometimes the computer powers down after 15 to 30 minutes of run time, other times it functions perfectly normal with the usual hours of battery life. Just today, the computer lasted about 25 minutes before powering down because of lack of battery power. After powering down, it would not turn back on. I plugged it in, turned it back on without a hitch, and it said it had 90% or so battery capacity so I unpluged it and it has been running off the battery for the past several hours without error.

Due to the intermitance of this issue, I am hesitant to purchase a new battery as I have suspicions that there is another issue that is the root of this problem, possibly in the software somewhere. If anyone has had any experience with this problem, or knows how to solve it (or even have a reliable place to purchase the appropraite replacement battery) your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my question!

Udate: I tried to contact HP about this. Apparenly, if your product is out of warranty you have to pay a fee to talk to them. >:(  Any advice would be even more greatly appreciated at his point. A laptop that may or may not have battery power might as well be a desk top...

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1899
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ggsmith3.

Welcome to the HP Forum!

I am pleased that you have become a HP Forum member.  It is such a wonderful site to find answers and tips. Here is a link to the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More for you to have the most rewarding experience and answer any concerns about posting.

I grasp that you are experiencing an inconsistency with your battery power. It will work flawlessly one time and then it will do an auto shutdown as it thinks it does not have power.  You can reconnect it to power and it will show that you have battery power left and will run off the battery. 

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 8).. If the battery passes the hardware check there are a couple of other things to try. The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery is basically the driver that communicates  with  the computer and the battery. There is a chance that it is corrupted and is reading the battery level wrong. Therefore the computer thinks the battery level is higher than what it actually is, so when it runs out of juice it shuts down.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager.
Step 2. Select Batteries.
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 4. Click Uninstall.
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver.
Step 6. Shutdown the computer.

Step 7: Remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in.

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager.
Step 9. Select Batteries.
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software".

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller if one is seen.

Please let me know if this helped.

To express appreciation for my post, please click the "Thumbs Up" icon.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you! 

Sparkles1

ggsmith3 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Awesome, thanks! That is just the information I'm looking for. :)

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1899
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ggsmith3,

Thank you for the update.  Please let me know how it turns out.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation