Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion Notebook 15 Y8J41PA#UUF  stop charging when battery reach 72% after installing an windows update on 16/07/2017.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @lingus123 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I see that you are having trouble charging your HP notebook. Appreciate all your troubleshooting efforts so far 🙂

You mentioned that you are getting "Plugged in not charging" message while charging the notebook. First off, perform a hard reset on the notebook by removing the battery. Unplug all the cables, turn off the PC, remove the battery if it is removable. Wait for 2-3 minutes and then connect everything back.

If the issue persists, try the steps below:

• Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Battery”  – Right-click and choose “uninstall” on all the entries.
  • Once all the entries are removed from battery, restart your PC.

The PC will reinstall the drivers automatically once your restart the PC. Then try charging the laptop.

I would further recommend you to test and calibrate the battery using the HP PC Diagnostics UEFI.

Go to http://hp.care/2cMZFxJ and perform the tests under “Testing and calibrating the battery using HP PC Diagnostics UEFI (preferred method)”. Make sure to do the test for both battery and the adapter.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc to get the Startup menu. Now press F2 key.
  3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.
  4. Select the "Component test" and then select "battery test" from the list.
  5. Once done, perform an adapter test as well.
  6. Let me know if the test passes or not.

If the test passes, perform a battery calibration as well as mentioned under “Manually Calibrating the battery” and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having a similar problem.

When I connect the AC adapter, it only charge until arround 73%  then it stopped charging ; when it goes down it start charging again. I tried deleting the drivers and checking the battery using the HP Support Assitent, HP PC Diagnostics Tools and using HP PC Diagnostics UEFI. In all of the case the result was the battery is Ok.

I am copying the result of the last test I did. I realised that it shows that my capacity of charging is 73%. Is this correct? shouldn't it be 100%?

Thank you!

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows Application

HP service is not installed.
DevicesSupported: 1 DeviceCount: 1
Primary_ACPowerOn: True
Primary_ACAdapterOk: True
Primary_TestresultString: OK
Primary_DesignCapacity: 2850mAh
Primary_FullChargeCapacity: 2105mAh
Primary_RemainingCapacity: 1453mAh
Primary_MaxError: 1
Primary_CycleCount: 124
Primary_Voltage: 16424mV
Primary_Current: 1653mA
Primary_DesignVoltage: 14600mV
Primary_Status: 128
Primary_CellVoltage1: 4084mV
Primary_CellVoltage2: 4040mV
Primary_CellVoltage3: 4182mV
Primary_CellVoltage4: 4084mV
Primary_SerialNumber: 04164 09/29/2015
Primary_ManufacturerName: 131-42-6E
Primary_BatteryCTNumber: 6EZRVC29J9K38O
Primary_Warranty: 1
Primary_CalibrationType: 3
Primary_ChargeControl: Supported
Primary_TempCharge: True
Primary_ChargeTest: True
Primary_ChargeCapacity: 73
Primary_TempAlarm: False
Primary_DeepDischarge: False
Primary_FullCharge: False
Primary_FullChargeStatus: False
Primary_BatteryCharge: True
Primary_DesignCycleCount: 300
HP Recommended

Having the same problem following a recent Windows 10 update the end of June. Help!!! 

All tests indicate the battery is fine, but it isn't. It drains as it is charging, sometimes is plugged in and not charging, and never goes above 73%.

Please advise -- This is really frustrating as Windows updates occur.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.