Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
14 0 10
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain in hibernated state

ENVY 13t-d000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop is 7 months old and rarely used (around 25 charge cycled so far). Recently I realized there is a serious battery drain even when I use hibernate. I know it uses some charge to keep the RAM alive in sleep mode but I see no reason for a battery drain in hibernated state. 

The drain rate is about 10% in 30 hours. It may not seem like a big deal but I'm already disappointed in the battery life on this device.

There are no pending updates at this stage. I tried to turn off `fast startup` in power settings but it did not help.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
228 19 37
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ afaruky,

Welcome back to the HP Forums! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and wanted to reach out to you.

I understand from your post that you feel the battery is draining faster than you find acceptable while in hibernate mode.

A good place to begin when dealing with battery and charge levels is here.

You may also want to review this document on improving battery performance. If you still feel the battery is draining too quickly, you may want to try testing and calibrating the battery.

Please let me know how this goes. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the Accept as Solution button down below in this message.

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Thanks - I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
14 0 10
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess I couldn't explain my problem accurately.

Hibernation mode should be no different from complete shutdown in terms of energy use. I believe it'll be easier to address the problem correctly if we agree on the difference between sleep and hibernation.

Technically, there should be no energy consumption in hibernated state at all. Obviously, there is something wrong.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 19 37
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @afaruky,

Thanks for the clarification of your issue.

Using hibernation mode is a means to retain more battery power compared to sleep mode or being completely powered on when the system is not in use. There will still be power consumption, less than sleep, but more than if the system was completely off.

If you are wanting to retain the most battery power possible when the system is not in use, you may want to consider completely powering the system off.

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
14 0 10
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not agree with you. I've used many laptops and experienced no battery drain in hibernated state. One simple example to prove my point: Go into hibernation on a laptop with a detachable battery. Take the battery off. Next day, install the battery and you'll see it boots up because there is no energy required to stay in hibernation.

Yet, I tried what you suggested. I charged the battery to 100% and shut the laptop down on 16-Jun 6:12 AM. I let it stay almost 48 hours. I had only 94% battery on my next boot up on 18-Jun 5:19 AM. 

BatteryDrain.png

There are other people complainin about battery drain for other HP laptops. So, I'm not alone. There is definitely something wrong. 

HP Battery benchmark gives this report:

IMG_20160616_060542.jpg

As you may know, the industry standard for an healthy battery is retaining 80% of its original capacity. If a battery looses its capacity by 5% in just 25 charge cycles, you be the judge.

I did more research on battery benchmark and found 'powercfg' function. Thanks to this battery report I realized my battery degrades like an ice cube melts on a summer day. 

Here is the detailed report:

BattCapHistry.png

I made an Excel sheet to show how fast it degrades. Check the last two columns please:

BattCapHistryEXCEL.png

Now, what is your solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
14 0 10
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: Issue remains after getting remote connection session

BIOS update was carried out by HP CS via remote connection.

I ran two consecutive full charge-discharge cycles for calibration upon CS suggestion.

CS refused to acknowledge battery problem because so-called battery benchmark did not create a failure ID.

After last cycle(100% charge while turned off) I disconnected the charger and waited 24 hours. I had 94% left on my battery. I'm quite sure that battery drains even when turned off.

Also, battery degradation continues. Current full charge capacity of the battery is 92%. Windows shows that it charges to 100% but Windows uses relative values-takes full charge capacity as 100%, not out-of-factory design capacity.

HP Battery Benchmark reveals the battery degradation problem. I literally lost 3% charge holding capacity of my battery. This happened in 4 days over two full battery cycles. 

ChargeCap 95to92.jpg

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 19 37
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @afaruky,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation