Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HaniOkasheh Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain issue

HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I think I'm having issues with my HP Spectre x360's battery. it barely lasts 6, most of the times dies after almost 5 hour of use. Before buying, I went through a great deal of reviews which complimented the battery life of this machine, with reviewers claming that it lasted them between 8-9 on normal usage.

Also, battery drain continues even when the notebook is in sleep mode.

Computer runs on a Core i7 Skylake processor, 8 GB of RAM, 256 SSD, and sports Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Any help is much appreciated, I'm very frustrated and disappointed as to be honest if this goes unresolved I might be forced to buy a new computer because I really need a machine with solid battery life to run my business.

Thanks,

Hani

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain issue

You have a computer with an i7 processor and you get nearly 6 hours of battery life. That is exceptionally good, nothing to complain about. The laptop magazines use tests that do not really replicate actual field conditions. Frankly, most of them are industry shills. 

I am not sure what else you could buy that would give better battery life than you are experiencing. You will find other laptops that claim an 8 or 9 hour battery life, but again you are really going to get 5 or 6 on a good day. 

Turn down screen brightness, disable wi-fi and bluetooth if you are not using them. Minimize open apps and windows. Not too much else you can really do. Sleep mode still uses power. If you want less drain use hibernation instead of sleep. 

if you must have all day battery runtime, buy one of the portable external laptop battery packs about the size of an external laptop hard drive. You will get an extra 4 or 5 hours out of one of those and it charges the battery back up so between your battery and one of those you will get 14 or so hours of runtime. 

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain issue

Thank you for your reply,

Before this I had a Lenovo windows tablet which used to last a fair 9-10 hours of use. Again, I read all over the place that the Spectre x360 would go about 8 hours, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Mine reached 6 hours only once, usually the battery would die at about 4 and a half to 5 hours of use with brightness at 25%, no bluetooth, no location services.

And quite honestly I don't think it's ok for a computer's battery to be depleted while asleep just as if it's being used!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain issue

A tablet is not a computer and some tablets do get 8-10 hours runtime or even more. The difference between an i7 computer and a tablet is apples and oranges. Yes, it should not be draining like it is on when it is asleep. In the BIOS there should be a setting for usb power when off and you can try shutting that off. Otherwise if you leave it overnight in sleep and it loses more than a couple percent of the charge something is definitely wrong. 

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain issue

Thank you very much, I believe I understand the difference between a tablet and an i7 computer.

However, can I kindly ask you if you know of any solutions to the issue I'm experiencing? i've already attempted to do what you suggested yesterday and the issue remain unresolved.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain issue

I am suggesting the draining while the power is off might be a hardware issue.

The only cause I have seen for power drain when the laptop is off is when a usb device is left plugged in and usb power is enabled in the BIOS:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/battery-drain/m-p/5467645/highl...

It is also possible you have some programs installed which can wake the laptop from sleep mode:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-X2-Battery-Drains-w...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows/HP-Pavilion-x2-Detachable-PC-Battery-Drains-when-in-Sleep/m-p/5...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation