Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,  New poster....Thank you ALL for the posting on this topic. 

I want to purchase the w023dx but I have stopped my purchase until I understand this power drain issue.   The replies from HP service reps on the telephone left me annoyed but curious.  

I want to know if the power drain continues down to zero percent at the initial rapid rate - or - does it stop after a certain percent is reached?    

The reason I ask is that my older Lenovo laptop has a Power Management scheme for people who run their laptop with the power cable connected 100% of the time.    This power management scheme claims to charge the battery up to 65% only after it decays down to 55%.   Supposedly this leads to longer battery life when a unit is always plugged into power.   

Even with that being the case for the Lenovo,  I still can't imagine why an HP power management scheme would RAPIDLY bring the power down to 65% in ONLY a couple of days...this seems insane.    If they are doing this on purpose one should be able to tell because the rapid power drain should completely stop at some point  - and thereafter remain stable at the intended lower power percentage  (maybe 65% if they copied what Lenovo claims to do with their always on power management scheme.)   

If the drain does not stop then this issue has nothing to do with an "on purpose power management scheme" as the REP claimed.

HP Recommended

Re: HP Spectre 13-w023dx.  Latest observation was the unit was at 75% capacity at 10:36 PM and at 74% capacity at 12:15PM the next day after a complete shutdown.     The Sphinx FW update was previously applied. 

HP Recommended

Tommm777: My laptop w023dx has drained to zero. I has left it for a week when I was travelling with my family. So i think the drain is a problem, not a purpose power managerment scheme

HP Recommended

KietUy, going to zero in that short a period is TOTALLY is unacceptable.

It sounds like you should try the "Sphinx FW update" as mAlan22 just suggested.  

Please Post your new results when you do.  I would really like to hear what happens.

HP Recommended

48 hours later, my battery is still at 100%. 

This was after updating my Spectre x360 model 13-4193nr with the HP QHD Touchscreen Controller Firmware Update. 

Lets see what tomorrow brings. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

- Re: 13 - w023dx, USB charging is on, with no USB receiver plug in. The New Bios ver 11 doesn't work, the drain continues 0,5% for 1 hour. I will use the Sphinx fix with the new Bios and review in next 48h.

- mAlan22:1% for >24h, so awesome.

Tommm777: The Sphinx fix has worked. mAlan22, Rajamahal, pvbGolfer, Senchronize has used it and the drain is slowly, you can see their posts. Although it doesn't work with some case, elusivedream's 023dx still drains, and he's gonna to send it to HP. Telstar1948 has sent 023dx to Hp and then the drain stopped. I don't want to send my laptop to HP :"<
Sorry, my english isn't good.

HP Recommended

PVBGOLFER has not solved the problem (13-W023dx). Unit sent to HP, awaiting return.

HP Recommended

- The SPHINX fix doesn't work with me, after 9 hours it drained 4% :HalfEyes:

w023dx,16G RAM,512G SSD, BIOS 11, USB charging is on, no USB receiver

- PVBGOLFER: Sorry, my fault :smileyembarrassed:
Hope it will be fixed, and please share the updated driver if you have, I don't want to send my laptop to Hp :Crying:

HP Recommended

@KietUy wrote:

- The SPHINX fix doesn't work with me, after 9 hours it drained 4% :HalfEyes:

w023dx,16G RAM,512G SSD, BIOS 11, USB charging is on, no USB receiver

- PVBGOLFER: Sorry, my fault :smileyembarrassed:
Hope it will be fixed, and please share the updated driver if you have, I don't want to send my laptop to Hp :Crying:

Yes, I first had a HP tech remote in to my Spectre & he updated some things but it didn't stop the battery drain after shutdown. I then sent it to HP and about 4 days later I had it back. No more battery drain after shutdown. They didn't explain what they did except updated the BIOS and replaced some missing drivers (...huh?).

Anyway, my Spectre has had no issues since. You may want to get with HP to arrange to send it to them, particularly since the SPHINX fix didn't work 100% for you.

HP Recommended

At all.  My PC is 13-W0023dx

I sent the PC to HP last Friday.  It went over the weekend and during the 91hours in transit it drained from 68% to 25%, which is about 0.5% per hour.

Just got the PC back this afternoon.   It took 26 hours to get here - and the drain was only from 94% to 92%.  I am going to test it tonight and will report back in the morning.  It is encouraging.

As with others, the report says the problem was duplicated and resolved.  Software WIndows 10 driver issues, and update firmware.  No other info.  One interesting fact - they rolled my BIOS back to F.04 (I had updated to F10).

PVBGOLFER 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.