Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@pvbgolfer wrote:
That was my post. Sent my PC to HP with F11 BIOS. HP returned it with F04. No explanation. Drain reduced significantly. I am still pushing HP for details on their repair.

Has anyone determined whether downgrading the BIOS actually makes a difference?  Mine is still at F11. I had to install the Sphinx fix 2x. I'm trying to decide whether to attempt to downgrade my BIOS. Is that generally a straight forward process?  I found some instructions on line but would rather not do it if it's not helping.

HP Recommended

I can't believe this issue has not yet been resolved by HP.  The "latest 2016 model" has been out now for over 3 months!  It is unacceptable and I am going to escalate this issue to some of the senior people at HP.  

On another note, I am just wondering, have any of you tried this new driver that HP just added to the support area for this laptop...........it is a Driver-Graphics, Version: 21.20.16.4542 Rev.A, that was just released on 12/16?  I doubt it has anything to do with this battery drain issue, but you never know.............

HP Recommended
I'm still using F04 and also have tried the new graphics driver. Still having the battery drain issue.
HP Recommended

Ok.  Thanks Jerry.

This is ridiculous.  Three months of template, canned responses from HP that resolve nothing.  This needs to be escalated to the most senior levels of the organization.  I am going to do such, and I hope you all will as well.

HP Recommended

I also have the same issue with my Spectre x360 battery drain and feel the same regarding disappoint in HP for taking so long to address this issue. I have not yet applied the Sphinx update listed in this thread in hopes that HP will issue a formal fix soon, but seeing that it's been months now, I'm starting to get doubtful and plan on attempting the fix soon. 

Question for those of you that applied the Sphinx update: Since it appears to update the SSD driver (I believe?), have any of you noticed or benchmarked read/write speeds of the SSD before and after the Sphinx firmware update? I want to make sure the SSD does not take a performance hit while attempting to fix the battery issue. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

i havent done any benchmarking of the laptop but the sphinx update dosent seem to have changed how long it takes to start up if that helps. it still seems too fast, i dunno if thats just nvme or if the ssd just isnt fully shutting down. im getting to desktop in 8 seconds.

the sphinx did help the drain a lot but the latest bios update changed the way the remaining battery is calculated so im not sure if its totally fixed yet. the battery % dosent move untill it suddenly drops to 94% from 100%. ive grown tired of trying to test different things as ive heard HP is working on drivers to fix it. for now its good enough, it seems to be able to go nearly 2 days before dropping 6% battery. i dont know if thats even abnormal at this point, batteries are suppost to drain a little right?

HP Recommended
My other notebook macbook air can goes days and only drop 1-2%. I find this still unacceptable. My Lenovo also doesn't drain much
HP Recommended

Maybe you just need to look at this thread with hunderds of posts. I too have this issue on an Elite Book and would like it fixed.

HP Recommended

The sphinx fix doesnt update the ssd, it looks like it updates the thunderbolt 3 PD (power delivery) firmware instead. If you start the Thunderbolt software and check details you can see your PD firmware version. I didnt check before i applied the fix but it lists as N/A now. I've seen screenshots in an egpu forum showing that the PD firmware should show with a version number for this computer.

HP Recommended
A really good test to see if it is the thunderbolt 3 drivers draining the battery is to disable the driver's to them. Anyone who had not done Sphinx's fix could test it. Would be pretty interesting.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.