Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Don't bother.

they will try a few things

eventually telling you the laptop is defective and to send it in for repair.

probably get it back in worse shape than you might of sent it,

and nothing will be fixed.

Unless they make a fix public to every user it isn't worth your time

Every one of these laptops has the same issue.

HP Recommended

Has anyone updated all the drivers after the Sphinx fix?  I've seemed to cure the battery drain problem with Sphinx and have avoided updates including the Bios.  I really don't want to update a bunch of drivers and have the issue return.  Thanks for any input.  

HP Recommended

They took my machine and "fixed" it.  The battery drain is definitely less.  It's not perfect but a lot better than before.  I would take the HP offer for repair.  But I also hope for a complete fix.

HP Recommended

I am considering buying the laptop tomorrow guys, is there a final verdict on this ? Does the Sphinx update resolve the issue and is there a BIOS change or driver change needed along with that ?

HP Recommended

I've had mine for a few months and some observations:

Form Factor:  Superb, I love the usb "C" support.  The size is exemplary.

Video: If you need graphics support for anything intensive, forget it.  As an example. When I scroll down in file explorer it just smears if I move too fast.  It recovers quickly, but still annoying.  For general productivity apps it's fine.  I would never try to edit a video here.

Battery:  Sphinx update and firmware 11, I'm OK with the battery usage.  It's still more than it should be be I'm rarely not using it for long periods between usage.  I remember an old IBM laptop that had battery after 6 months of inactivity. Those were good old days.

HP Support:  Bah!  This battery usage issue is something that should never have occured.  The product manager and chief product engineer should hold their heads in shame .  The fact that a software fix has not been in general release tells me that there is more to the problem than firmware.  My suspicion is that there is a hardware design flaw somewhere, and that can't be addressed by a straightforward software fix.  If it was we would have had it already!

Summary:  Do I regret the purchase?  No, but HP dropped the ball here!!

HP Recommended
Well folks! I have come to a final decision. Since HP has still not fixed it and a new Spectre X360 was announced today, then I will be returning mine this Sunday. Regardless of whether they fix this with a software update or not. I will be actually exchanging mine for the newest Spectre X360 15 inch with the 4K display that was just announced today. The new 15 inch also has a NVIDIA 940MX graphics. It's going to be at best buy Jan 15th for $1499. Funny that's the day probably most of us have our refund date expire (if you bought after October 30th from Best buy). Makes me wonder if that was intentional by HP?

Anyways I know I'm taking a big chance because there's a high probability that this battery bug will exist on it too. However with that I feel like I can settle with the issue better since I'm getting more features. Plus if it does have the battery bug too then once there is a manual "Sphinx" fix for it, or hopefully a official software update for it, then I will be more happy.

I will keep an eye on this thread and let you guys know January 16th if the 15 inch has the battery bug too.
HP Recommended

I wanted to report back that after downgrading my BIOS back to F04, the Sphinx fix is still holding. I didn't have to reinstall  it. I'm at 100% after 24 hrs which was true after I applied the Sphinx fix the last time.

HP Recommended
Watchdog507, I agree with you about it being a bigger issue than a firmware. The sphinx "fix" is a bandaid solution.

How do we get this out to the masses and make it a high priority for hp? This is suppose to be their premium line, trying to be like Apple. For one you have to make a great product and follow that up with great support. Failed on both accounts.
HP Recommended

I just sent a request to hp canada for the RMA NOR number.

They are accepting returns till the 20th.

what a great device, but a cheap acer we got at work from staples today while turned off is holding its battery life even after 6 hours vs the spectre.

HP will just put a bandaid on this and hope it shuts people up.

at least lenovo fixed the fan spinning issues after people complain.

now we know what company actually cares about their customers and who doesn't.

HP Recommended

My Windows 10 battery report is showing that the battery is only losing 1% overnight (12-15 hours).

I have installed BIOS F.11,

SPHINX fix (had to do it four times, on the fourth time it ran correctly, see my earlier post about the command line differences when running the flash.exe file),

Installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (which worked first time contrary to some other people's reports, I just made sure I shut off all background processes, it took less than 25 minutes once the original download was finished (which took a while, like 5 hours),

Turned off Fast Start up which honestly on a computer which boots as quickly as this is pretty much not a problem.

Disabled USB Charging when off in the BIOS (I don't use this feature and nor would I want to - it doesn't suit my usage whatsoever as I have a desktop for that kind of thing and my peripherals are all bluetooth or wifi).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.