cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sg20 Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not fully charging but passes HP battery test

HP Envy 4
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Laptop will only charge to a max of 86%. Battery test indicates OK. After recalibrating battery

the max charge was reduced to 76%. Will a new battery solve this or could this be something more die?

If new battery is necessary, can HP provide it or am I forced to go to 3rd party supplier?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2193
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sg20,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I read your post and wanted to reach out to help you with the battery not charging fully on your HP Envy 4 Notebook. Here is a link to troubleshoot the battery on a Notebook. You should be able to complete these with the Notebook plugged into the AC adapter.

Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Please let me know how this goes.

Slap the Thumbs up to give me a Kudos high five, just to say thanks for trying.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
sg20 Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The battery passes all the tests. I've done a cold reset and recalibrated the battery. The result is the same. The laptop runs on the battery but the charging simply stops at 86%. I've seen this problem online several times but, as far as I can tell, no one has a solution.As long as it holds a charge of 86% I can continue to use it, but if it continues to decrease I will have to decide whether to sink money into it ($300 ??) or buy a new one.

The laptop is almost 4 years old and maybe that's a reasonable lifespan.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2193
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sg20,

You could try removing the battery, then go to the Device Manager, expand the Batteries section. Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall. Restart the Notebook. Once the Notebook has come all the way back up, shut it down and remove the AC adapter. Put in the Battery and AC adapter turn on the Notebook.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
sg20 Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After this procedure It got to 92% but stopped charging after that. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2193
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sg20,

1. Press the ‘Windows’ key on the keyboard.
  2. Type Troubleshooting and then press Enter.
  3. Select Troubleshooting. Click on View All and select Power.
  4. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
sg20 Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Troubleshooting with the Power option only allows the adjustment of power setting which I set to the recommended settings (win 7).  This did not affect the charging capacity which is still 94%.

I ran powercfg -energy. Here is the battery section which appears to be fine.

Battery:Battery Information
Battery ID     03061 05/15/201223-1CEL04052
Manufacturer     23-1C
Serial Number     03061 05/15/2012
Chemistry     LION
Long Term     1
Design Capacity     48396
Last Full Charge     48396

This is not a bid deal since the laptop will be fine on a 94% charge. I'm just curious and wonder if it's the beginning of

other kind of deteriation of the machine

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2193
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sg20,

I suspect it is a setting change. Is the power plan on High performance or balanced?

Let me know.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sg20 Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

balanced. It was originally on custom

@Mrstenter wrote:

Hi @sg20,

I suspect it is a setting change. Is the power plan on High performance or balanced?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Balanced. It was originally on a custom setting but I changed it a few days ago so see if that was the problem

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2193
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sg20,

You could try in the Device Manager, expand the Batteries section. Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall. Restart the Notebook. 

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation