Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rikscr7 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery plugged in, not charging

HPPavilion Notebook-15-ab032tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I recently updated my laptop and now I have got a battery problem. The charger is plugged in but it says not charging. However, the laptop continues to work perfectly fine even though the battery indicator shows 8% remaining. But as soon as I remove the charger, low battery alert pops up. Does not charge even when shut down.

Please help. Here is the screenshot.

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @rikscr7 ,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I understand that after upgrading to Windows 10 your battery is not charging. When you remove the AC adapter you get a low battery message as it only shows 8% but  it continues to work normally. 

Here are two links I think may help:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

If the battery has tested fine, it could be the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control method Battery which is the basic driver.  It is possible that it has become corrupted and reading the battery level incorrectly and the notebook thinks the level is higher then it actually is.  Please try this step.

• Go to Device Manager
  • Select Batteries
  • Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
  • Click uninstall
  • At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the correct driver
  • Shutdown the computer
  • Remove the battery for one minute and then put it back in.
  • When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver
  • Go To Device manager
  • Select Batteries
  • Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
  • Right click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

If you see a "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller repeat the above process for it also.  If you do not see it, do not worry.  

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them.  To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
rikscr7 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually I talked to one of the guys through Hp Support Assistant chats and tried the Microsoft thing but nothing happened. So he gave the battery a check and found that my battery's cycle count was 355/300. He said that due to overuse, I am facing this problem and now the battery needs to be changed. Is there any other solution?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @rikscr7,

Thank you for the update.

If HP has determined the battery requires replacement, then it needs to be replaced or you can continue to use it on AC power only. Here is a document to help explain:

HP Notebook PCs - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology.

Should you decide to replace the battery, I am  providing you with the:

HP Pavilion Notebook (Intel) Star WarsTM Special Edition Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide

Please see chapter 3, page 27, item 18 for the part number.  Another one that may  also be of assistance is :

HP Notebook PCs - Purchasing a Replacement Battery

To say thanks for my assistance, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.  If you fell this post helped to lead you to a resolution, please click "Accepted Solution" to help others who may have the same difficulty. 

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
74 5 6
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi rikscr7,

Can the battery be charged when unit is turned off?  If yes, look like adapter's smart pin is not well contact with the system.  Pls try another adapter, and see if charging in OS is working. If not, look like the system side DC-IN jack needs to be re-assembled, and you need to contact service center for this. Thanks!

I work for HP. I'm here to help. In case the solution provided work, pls do not forget to give the Kudos!!

ET1111. I work for HP; I'm here to help
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation