cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
The_Flashmaster
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery "plugged in, not charging", only charges when off.

HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Serial number: [Personal Information Removed]

Product number: E6M69EA#ABU

Whenever I have my laptop turned on and plugged into the mains now, it'll give a message saying (plugged in, not charging) after the power percentage and stay at that level without charging up. But it'll charge when I have my computer off!

It will run off the battery and charge when the computer is off so it's not the battery itself. And it'll boot up and run if I have the AC adapter plugged in with the battery removed, so it's not that either. How do I fix this?

I looked all over the web for a solution to this but nothing I found worked at all so I had to come here.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Level 7 GeorgeFN
Level 7
879 878 37 103
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear about the problems with the power.

Many times when there are issues with the battery or power to the notebook, it will be one of three things: the power supply, the system board, or the battery.

You might want to take a look at this document that has instructions to troubleshoot each of these.  If you follow these instructions, you might find the problem, or at least you will be eliminating them as being the issue.  But I think maybe you'll find the answer in this document, Battery Does not Power the Notebook or Hold a Charge,

Thanks,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Level 10
4,161 4,159 563 1,274
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like your Notebook is not charging the Battery, We will surely assist you with this issue

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook 

Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board

How to improve the life of a Battery:

1. Power Plan should be set correctly for extended battery life

2. Please keep the Screen Brightness at lower level

3. Please turn OFF Wi-Fi Connection when not in use

4. Please remove the CD/DVD's from the Optical Drive when not in use

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

http://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c04700771

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03325217

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821536

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

0 Kudos
The_Flashmaster
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

George, this doesn't help. I already mentioned that the computer starts with the AC adapter plugged in and the battery removed, it runs on the battery when the AC adapter is removed and the battery charges when the computer is off.

0 Kudos
The_Flashmaster
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GBL, I tried the first 9 steps (seemed rather similar to stuff I found online but tried anyway), that did not help.

Running the Battery Check made it say that it needs to be replaced, but that doesn't add up with how the battery charges fine when the computer is off (It even went from 49% to 50% in the course of trying the initial solution!) and this PC being almost brand new (I had to send in this PC for repairs and this was given to me as a replacement just last Wednesday, there's no way it could've worn out that much in under a week!).

0 Kudos
The_Flashmaster
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As an update, it seems that sometimes if I run out of power, plug it in to charge and then turn it on it'll keep charging after it's turned on. But this isn't always the case.

0 Kudos
AnnabananEire
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Flashmaster,

I have been habing the same problem with my laptop and been desperately trouble shooting for past few days.  By chance I just noticed that the little metal prong in my AC cable that plugs into laptop was bent.  I managed to straighted with a thing metal pin, and voila - back in action!

Here's hoping this might help you also as a recent struggler!

Anna

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,218
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AnnabananEire,

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,

Glad to hear you got it working. However, if you come across the issue in the future, please try these steps here:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Shayan_Khan
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Disconnect the Battery, Hold the power button for 10 seconds, then connect the battery back and tested , mine work in that way !!!! Good Luck !!!!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation