Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq 6730B
Microsoft Windows XP

Could anyone tell me where bios chip is located on the mainboard of 6730B?

I would like to erase and reprogram the chip with an chip programmer. I bought this laptop from internet and it has a bios password and harddrive lockcode. I can not contact the seller anymore.

Below in the image i think it is the U21 with a blue dot.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have soled this issue.

The bios is the U21 chip (image1). I bought a nano bios chip programmer from ebay and programmed the bios with new firmware.

Now it is password free.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jeethen wrote:

Could anyone tell me where bios chip is located on the mainboard of 6730B?

I would like to erase and reprogram the chip with an chip programmer. I bought this laptop from internet and it has a bios password and harddrive lockcode. I can not contact the seller anymore.

Below in the image i think it is the U21 with a blue dot.

Since the seller is refusing to respond then you should contact eBay if you bought it through them and file a compliant and let them redress the situation but if it is a individual online then there is nothing more any on hp user can do to help. If this isn't a business laptop you can enter the passsword 3x and get a lockout code and other user can find the BIOS reset password but for the HDD reset there nothing you can do but toss it out and get a new HDD and start over.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

@Jeethen

Contact HP.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.htm​​l

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Or download these files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu4kdgxm052l87d/AAAMi-k​​fX4AVH8oTCbsOM4X9a?dl=0

Insert clean USB flash drive.

Then run USB Image tool.

Choose the flash drive then click on RESTORE.

After restore remove flash drive.

Insert flash drive into locked laptop and boot. ”If HDD is installed remove before booting.”

At C:\OUTPUT   type CD..   “Then hit enter”

Type HPBR   “Then hit enter”

First thing is to save your settings.

Select #3 re-program.

Press “S” to save system information.

Type HPBR and hit enter.

Select   “FIRST RUN”

Then select model.

After reboot repeat same as above but this time SELECT “SECOND RUN”

Some instructions here. “If you cannot boot from USB there are instructions to make a bootable HDD.”

http://mazzifsoftware.blogspot.com/2014/01/hp-bios​​​​-unlock-for-dos.html

More here.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49497-HP-​​​​Probook-Elitebook-BIOS-Password-Reset-Utility

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, i bhought the laptop from marktplaats. Marktplaats wil not help em to find the seller.

HP Recommended

Hello 

HP Recommended

I have soled this issue.

The bios is the U21 chip (image1). I bought a nano bios chip programmer from ebay and programmed the bios with new firmware.

Now it is password free.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.