Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Yousef30 Student
Student
0 0 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios Update HP Support Assistant Taking Too Long?

HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab22
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bios update taking too long!  by HP Support Assistant 

Over12 hours now any suggestions!

should I click the stop buttons? 

The HPSA popped out from no where and asked to download updates and I clicked it.

HELP PLS.

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Dean Dean
Dean
8505 8361 679 3055
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Since you posted about 10 hours ago and 12 hours prior to that ... if the situation is still the same, try to STOP the process.

It seems stuck/hung.

If this doesn't help, please fire up Task Manager and close the HP Support Assistant - alternatively force a restart/reboot

>> http://winaero.com/blog/all-ways-to-restart-and-shutdown-windows-10/

If your BIOS is not updated yet (due to the process being stuck), personally, I'd recommend you not to update BIOS.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security

ddlion7 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

The same situation is happening to me, I started the update 12 hors ago and it wont finish updating "trough the HP Support assistant", I wasn't aware of the danger it implies to update the BIOS and now I'm affraid at stopping it and making my PC useless... I still have product warranty but I don{t know if it covers this kind of issues... Just a question, If the update is going through HP Support Assistant, is it safe to stop it? It just keeps saying "Installing" after all this time... Should I stop it or let it go until it "ends"?

My OS is Win 8.1

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
8505 8361 679 3055
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ddlion7

Thank you for posting.

I am afraid that if it is stuck for quite a lot of time (e.g. hours), there is no other way than stopping it.

You can try to perform the suggestions mentioned above.  Please, let me know how it goes.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security

0 Kudos
Seacapp Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why was that BiOS Update release in the frist place.  I had the same problem would not install.  It went on and on and on unitl I read this article.  I stopped it.  It should not take no BiOS  over 6 hours to update.  Unless you have one monster computer going.

Deontaee Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an HP pavilion note book 15ich touch screen Imy trying to update it and it's still buffering from 5 hours what do I do?
0 Kudos
Deontaee Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Should I stop it and restart it the computer and Start over?
0 Kudos
Deontaee Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any one got any advice?
0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
8505 8361 679 3055
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Deontaee

As mentioned above [you have similar case] - as it is stuck for so long, you can just stop it and restart the PC. Please, read all the suggestions in the entire thread here.

0 Kudos
akash3880 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have got same prblm but now is solved...

try this,

install hotspot shield in your laptop and connect it...

it will increase the downloading speed...

then hp assistant will be completed within 5 minutes only...

it worked for me may be it can help you too...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation