Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (19,550 Views)

Bios update taking too long?

Hi, I need help

My computer told me to do an update of my bios. I didn't know what it really was or if it was dangerous to my laptop so I said yes. It's been 9hours now since the beginning of the updates and all I can see is a black screen, the caps lock light flashing, the pad and wifi light are on and the fan is on too.

I read that bios update could be dangerous and that I might lose my laptop if it failed... What should I do? I have nothing telling me if the update is going on or if it froze...

I have a Pavilion DV6

Help me please, I don't want my laptop to die ;_;
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (19,548 Views)

Re: Bios update taking too long?

[ Edited ]

A successful BIOS update only takes a couple of minutes at most.

Is your notebook still in warranty? Warranty status check web page

What is the complete product name and product number?  dv6 just is not enough identification.

Remove the battery and look in the compartment where the battery was installed. You should see a Service tag with printed part number and a product name. Please post the p/n (with all alphanumeric characters here). If you live outside of North America, it helps us if you post the country of purchase.

Don't forget to post the name of the installed operating system.

Best regards,
erico

Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (19,536 Views)

Hi, and thanks for the fast reply!

My product name(it's written model so I think that's it) is : dv6-6b75ca
The warranty has expired
And the product number is : A5U48UA#ABC
Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (19,534 Views)

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention I have windows 7 home premium!
Provost
Message 5 of 8 (19,526 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since your notebook is a recent one with the UEFI environment, there is a good chance of recovering the BIOS.

Follow the instructions on this HP web document carefully.

Best regards,
erico

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Student
Message 6 of 8 (17,309 Views)

I recenntly got the HP Pavillion x2. The update keeps restarting. It's been doing this for the past few hours.  How can it stop. Everytime I unplug the power source and turn the computer off, it just goes right back to the update.

Provost
Message 7 of 8 (17,295 Views)

Try performing the BIOS recovery that is described in the document I provided the link to in my previous post. 

Tutor
Message 8 of 8 (15,320 Views)

I had the same exact problem. But the flashing and on the caps lock and etc happened first. 30 minutes later I finally get a display. But I get a hp bios update. It says it's getting recovered and it will take several minutes. Been waiting for an hour now
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation