cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TrumperLife96 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update won't install

HP Pavilion 11 x360 pc
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I get a message saying I need to update my Bios, but whenever I do it does all the steps besides install it. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
21865 21684 1853 6907
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TrumperLife96

You may be better off.  Smiling.  Does your system's BIOS need to be updated?  Are you having problems with your computer?  Security Issues?

Updating your BIOS is not something you want to do unless it is necessary.

If the message came from the HP Support Assistant, you might set the message about the BIOS update to Ignore and be done with it.

Commentary

It is this Expert's opinion that you should not depend on HP Support Assistant when it comes to BIOS updates.

Depending on other factors in the system at the time the HPSA tries to hit your system with an update of this type; the results might be ... other than expected.

You might set HPSA to "Notify" to prevent it from trying to update your BIOS.

ONLY update the BIOS when you see an update in your computer's webpage AND that update can be used to provide a fix for an issue you have discovered in your system.  In other words:  If your computer is happy, do not update the BIOS just because you think it would be a nice thing to do to it.

If you decide to update your BIOS,                                                        

• Make sure ALL your backups are current and complete - this means everything you need to restore the system in the event that something goes wrong.
  • Understand that even when you do everything exactly right, you can end up with a bricked computer, that is, an expensive paper weight.
  • Make sure you have at least your critical data on some form of external backup.

• Disconnect USB drives and any other unnecessary hardware.  Keyboard and mouse can stay connected.
  • Always run in AC power when updating the BIOS, never on the notebook battery
  • Do not touch the system while the update is in progress
  • Optional: Leave wireless button ON. You might switch off the router to assure there are no interruptions.

Updating the BIOS

If the worst happens and you must retreat:

Restoring the BIOS

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
TrumperLife96 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, but every other update I have won't install either. I thought I didn't have enough space so I cleaned up some stuff but that didn't work.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
21865 21684 1853 6907
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TrumperLife96,

Ah, well, the foibles and troubles of HPSA -- the refusal to install can be both the same issue and a different problem from the BIOS Update.

The warning about the BIOS Update from HPSA stands -- you might best leave HPSA set to Ignore the BIOS Updates.  IF / When you want to update the BIOS, you can do so manually.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The HPSA Update issue for the "other" updates might be caused by a number of factors, most of which you would have no control:

Possible reasons HPSA Updates might fail may include but are not limited to:

• Server issues
  • CVA errors (file control problems or actual errors in the CVA file (rare))
  • Network problems somewhere between the ftp Server providing the patch and your system
  • File System errors on your computer
  • HPSA program outdated, corrupted

============================================================================

Try First:

• Remove HPSA from Programs and Features
  • Restart / Reboot the computer and log in
  • Install a new copy of the HP Support Program 

HP Support Assistant

• Restart / Reboot the computer and log in
  • Start HPSA
  • In Settings > Set Notify > Check for Updates >  Ignore BIOS Updates
  • See if HSPA works (try to install Updates)

If no Joy, then Workaround:

• Leave HPSA  set to Notify
  • Use the List to gather the needed Updates

• Open your computer's Support Page:

HP Pavilion 11-n100 X360

• Select your Model from the 277 possible models in the list
  • Open the Software and Drivers
  • Select your Operating System > Click Submit

• Using your HPSA Driver list, peruse the Drivers List > Select , Download, Manually install your Drivers

=====================================================================

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation