Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
zolabud123 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update

HP Probook 455 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought this HP Probook 455 G3 and it has just run out of warranty which I intend to renew very soon.

I don't like 8.1 or 10 so I spent more than I wanted to and I bought a new Windows 7 lappy that is a business laptop.

I always do the recommended updates that I receive by E mail but one I never do which is the Bios update.

The last time I did a Bios update on this lappy it wouldn't fire up afterwards. Rang tech help and after going through some troubleshooting it went back for repair. It came back working and luckliy i didn't have many pictures on it.

Started from scratch and haven't had a problem since.

I am now scared to do the Bios update.

And....

Beofre I bought this laptop I bought a Windows 8.1 from HP direct . Hardly use it but update virus protection as necassary and last week there was a Bios update to perform. I also took out another 2 years warranty on it.

Same think happened. Last week in fact.

Wouldn't fire up afterwards. Again Tech help tried to help but in the end after frequent crashes it went in for repair on Friday. Good job I took out the extra warranty...

I am now down to 1 laptop which I do not want to fail on me.

I don't seem to have much luck with the Bios updates...

Advice please? Is the Bios absolutely essential?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Intern
Intern
38 1 10
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update

The BIOS updates can be necessary depending on what was changed.  You should read the BIOS change log and decide if it is worth the update: stability fixes, new features, security fixes, etc.

What methods were you using to update your BIOS?  Updating via Windows or directly from a USB stick?

Were the laptops plugged into wall power just to exclude any battery glitches at the time of update?

0 Kudos
zolabud123 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update

Thanks for replying.

They were both plugged in and they were done from a Windows update.

Not a USB.

On my Windows 7 laptop I get E mails saying routine,critical etc.

I normally update on the routine ones but I have not done the Bios.

When I plugged  in my red HP 15 - 212 last week it did an automatic update which took an hour and woudn't fire up again . As I said it had to go back for repair. I think i was a Bios update.

I don't want it to happen on this laptop. So I will update it when my red 15-212 comes back in around 10 days.

What does  Bios mean please?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
38 1 10
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update

The BIOS is the "Basic Input/Output System" used to initialize the computer to get it ready for Windows to load.  it also does other low level activities to support Windows.  Here a link to get some info what it does (just read the first 4 short paragraphs): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

If you have an issue during windows updating, it may have been a botched Windows software update and not necessarily a BIOS issue.  Usually BIOS updates come directly from HP programs like Support Assistant or SoftPaq, but your setup may be different.  Those HP programs usually offer you tools to update directly in windows or a USB stick.

I would keep a copy of the BIOS on a clean USB stick just in case the issue is truly a BIOS issue.  You may be able to get into a recovery mode and redo the BIOS if you run into trouble.

When your other computers failed to boot, were you able to see the boot screen or get the options to enter the BIOS such as a display to hit "ESC", "F1", "F10" etc?  If you did, this would suggest your BIOS is working and Windows failed to load for some other reason.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation