cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Michel5 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen after update drivers for laptop Envy 17 J170ca, via HP Support Assistant

HP Envy 17 j170ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I made some updates for several drivers for my laptop HP Envy 17 J170ca via HP Support Assistant. Reason for this was that the laptop was really slow and the Sound was cracking. 

After some updates the screen turned Black and the laptop does not start anymore. 

The serial number of the laptop is (removed content). The laptop is only 2.5 years old, I bought it in September 2014.

Is there a solution for this problem? Hoe can it be that I make use of the update tool of HP Support Assistant, which I downloaded before, and my laptop crashes afterwards? It is a tool of HP itselfs.

Best regards,

Michel

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
18,208 17,730 1,287 1,948
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen after update drivers for laptop Envy 17 J170ca, via HP Support Assistant

Hey there! @Michel5, Thanks for stopping by HP forums! 

I understand after updating the drivers you see a black screen on your laptop.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please try performing a hard reset on your PC.

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery, use the following steps:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

If you are able to boot into PC, Try restoring BIOS to default.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, from file tab select restore BIOS.

Select yes to confirm, press F10 to save changes and exit.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Michel5 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Before the laptop crashed I was doing some updates via HP Support Assistant. During one of those updates my laptop went down and has Black screen by turning on again.

I tried your steps, but it is still the same. The only difference now is that is turns off and on constantly. It tries to go on every time, but stops after a few seconds.

On the caps lock tab a small light shows 3 times. 

What else can I try?

Best regards,

Michel

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,630 20,240 1,691 2,767
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Michel5

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

I appreciate the fact that you went through the trouble of going through those steps,

However, since the issue now involves the blinking lights at the capslock, here's what you need to do:

Please click on the below links once you identify the blink code and resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

Computer Does Not Start and Emits a LED or Beep Code

"caps lock tab a small light shows 3 times" represents a Module error - not functional,

• Step 1 - Remove the electrical power

To remove all power from the computer and prevent accidental damage to the electronic components, do the following:

1. Turn off the computer by pressing and holding down the Power button for about 30 seconds.

2. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook.

3. Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position.

4. Use your finger to lift the battery up and out.

• Step 2 - Remove the memory module

1. Remove the memory module cover on the bottom of the notebook.

Look for the steps under Check for loose memory modules.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Michel5 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I did the steps you mentioned, but it does not work.

Now the caps lock tab shows 2 lights.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,630 20,240 1,691 2,767
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Michel5

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you check the same article I shared earlier about the blink codes to identify what that means,

Using the same article, it seems that it could be a BIOS failure, here's what you could attempt:

Start with a hard reset to release any excessive static on the PC:

• If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.
  • If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.
  • With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.
  • With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.
  • Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Click here for further steps

If the issue persists, Please Contact Hp for a hardware repair order setup:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation