Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP laptop 15

My HP laptop 15 was working two days ago and now when I push the power button their is just a black screen. The f12 button is  on but the caps lock is not on. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Take the computer into a darkened room, and power it on. 

Do you see anything, no matter how dim, on the computer screen?

Screens can fail, in this way -- down to less than 1% of the "normal" brightness.

Back in a normal room.

Do you have a normal computer-monitor, that you can connect to the video-output port on your computer?

Can you borrow one from a friend?

Connect it. Turn the monitor on.

Power-on the computer.

Do you see anything on the external monitor?

Maybe, it's the internal screen that has failed.

Remove the battery.

Disconnect the AC adapter.

Press-and-hold the ON/OFF switch, for 30 seconds, to "drain" any residual power.

Reconnect the AC adapter.

Does it now power-on?

Do you hear any noises at all, such as cooling fans, or the CD/DVD drive spinning?

Do you feel any warm air coming out of the exhaust ports?

If not, disconnect the AC adapter, and reconnect the battery.

Does it now power-on?

Tell us what you tried before you posted here, and what you observe, from the above diagnostics.

HP Recommended

I went into a darkened room and I didn't see anything

I'm trying to find another monitor

I held the switch for 30 seconds and still nothing

I don't hear any noises or  cooling fans and I don't feel any warm air. 

I do hear something when I put my ear to the keyboard 

HP Recommended

> I went into a darkened room and I didn't see anything

That rules out one type of problem that the screen could have.

> I'm trying to find another monitor.

Almost any monitor will do.

Got a friend with a desktop computer, with an external monitor?

Take your laptop to them, disconnect the monitor from his/her desktop, connect it to your laptop, and power-on your laptop.

> I held the switch for 30 seconds and still nothing

As expected.  The point is to "hard-reset" -- drain any residual power (no battery and no AC pwoer).

> I don't hear any noises or  cooling fans and I don't feel any warm air. 

That's not good.   If the motherboard "powers-on", but will not boot, there should be warm air-flow.

> I do hear something when I put my ear to the keyboard 

Hmmm.

I think that it is time to get a qualified computer technician to look at the laptop (and the AC adapter).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.