Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
andres3 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Blue screen FAT_FILE_SYSTEM ERROR, HP AUTOMATIC REPAIR, NTFS_FILE _SYSTEM ERROR cycle

Pavilion Sleekbook 14 b010us
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The computer enters a FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error, HP automatic repair, NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM ERROR, cycle. 

Not sure if Windows 10 is 32 or 64 bit, I upgraded a couple of months ago from Windows 8 that came with the notebook. 

9 REPLIES
andres3 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post

Blue screen FAT_FILE_SYSTEM ERROR, HP AUTOMATIC REPAIR, NTFS_FILE _SYSTEM ERROR cycle

Thank you for this information. My preblem is similar, cycling on a FAT_FILE_SYSTEM, recovery, NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM cycle. I was able to get out of the cycle by pressing ctrl+f8+f11, then got into the recovery menu. 

I ran the diagnostics and it went to a DSKCHK cmd. It listed ony one error line:

Attribute Record (128, $Bad) from file record segment 8 is corrupt

I went to the cmd promp and ran CHKDSK myself. The error above was not isted, but came back with:

Errors detected in the uppercase file

Windows has checked the file system and found problems

Run CHKDSK with /F option o fix

Failed to transfer logged messages to event log with status 50

I ran the CHKDSK /F and says:

Cannot lock current drive

Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it's write protected

(1) Is there anything I can do to fix the errors?, (2) will fixing them solve the blue screen problem? (3) is there anything in the recovery drive D: that can help me fix this?

Thank you so much for any insights that you can provide!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post

Hi @andres3,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are getting the  bluescreen error " FAT_FILE_SYSTEM, recovery, NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM " and continually restarts.  To get out  of the error you pressed ctrl+F8+F11 and got the recovery menu.  You ran the diagnostics and it went to CHKDSK cmd and listed the  error"Attribute Record (128, $Bad) from file record segment 8 is corrupt". You ran the CHKDSK yourself with this result:

Errors detected in the uppercase file

Windows has checked the file system and found problems

Run CHKDSK with /F option o fix

When you tried to run CHKDSK from /F you were informed the drive is write protected and are unable to complete the process.

Please try this step to remove the write protection.

• Right click on the Windows button lower left corner
  • Choose command prompt admin
  • Type diskpart and press enter
  • Type list volume and press enter
  • Type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive that is write protected
  • Type attributes disk clear readonly and press enter
  • Type exit and press enter

You should now have access to the drive to com[plete the tests.

Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8) as a guide.  

You can try this step to scan for and try to repair corrupted files.

• Go to the command prompt admin 
  • Type sfc /scannow and press enter

Please keep me updated to your progress.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
ComputerRCool12 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post

I have an HP and it will not do anything when I hit the ctrl + f8 + f11. I am getting the FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error and computer is continually restarting. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Dutch555 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post

I have the same problem. Nothing seems to happen when I ctrl+f8+f11. Sometimes it will flash f11 in the lower left screen. It will either keep cycling or go to a black screen where I can see my cursor move. I have to hard boot after that then the process starts over.

Please help
0 Kudos
BenJen Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post

Hi, I've been experiencing the exact same issues being described on this thread. It truly is terrifying. I have a couple of questions regarding the process suggested. After Ctrl F8 F11, what is this 'diagnostics' that was run? Also, once on command prompt, how do I know which option is write protected? I would really appreciate a swift response, simply because I am incredibly concerned and beginning to panic. Thank you.

0 Kudos
shining16 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post

I tried F9, ctrl+F8+F11 mentioned in the reply, esc, F2, F10, F12.  None of them can interrupt the error cycle, how can I proceed?

0 Kudos
Mordylty Tutor
Tutor
10 0 1
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post

Did you ever get your problem fixed?

0 Kudos
golden3 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post

Same problem is presist , Need clear conclustion to do further more info .  when I hit the ctrl + f8 + f11. I am getting the FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error and computer is continually restarting. 

0 Kudos
Adebola Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post

I have the same problem, and I am currently doing a chkdsk /f on my c: drive.

To break the blue screen cycle and arrive at the cmd prompt:
1.  Turn the computer off and then on.
2.  Press F11 only, repeatedly, at 1 second intervals until you arrive at a screen that prompts you to select a language.
3.  Click to select a language, e.g. English.
4.  Next you will be prompted to select a locale. Select your local, e.g. UK.
5.  On the next screen, select "Advanced Options".
6.  On the next screen, select "cmd prompt".

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation