Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion m6-1045dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Don’t know if this machine is a 32bit or 64bit but it is windows 10.

I’m working on this machine for someone, I went to plug in a Seagate external hard drive, needed to backup internal hard drive. it loaded a driver something and told me to restart, when I did I got the blue screen of Death and can NOT get the computer to boot properly . I do get at the bottom 2 options, "press Enter to try again" & "Press F8 for settings" When I go into settings there is 9 options one being "safe mode" option #4. I have triad this option with NO results. 

As the BSOD comes up it has an error code of 0xc0000017, and says "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" does this tell me that my hard drive just died????? I HOPE NOT !!

I CANT LOSE THIS HD (internal) reformatting is NOT an option at this point.  

When this computer was bought it had windows 7 on it, then upgraded to windows 10.

Are there other ways to get into safe mode W/O damaging the information on the drive.

I only have 1 day with this machine  and I need HELP ASAP. please if anyone can help me... 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Have you tried booting it without the external disk attached? 

What symptoms are you working to try to fix? 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

Yes i am trying to get back into windows 10. the normal sign in way. i Took off the external hard drive and rebooted.

All i get is the BSOD and the error code. it is important that i do not lose anything on the internal hard drive.

Nothing is attached to the laptop other then the power cord. (below are 3 pictures i would like to show you.)Computer error 1.jpg 

this picture flashes up first for a quick second. 

Computer error 2.jpg

then i get this one, when i press F8 

Computer error 3.jpg

I get this list,  i have triad all the safe mode options. NOTHING WORKS. 

I have been working on this for a while now.. i really dont want to take out the hard drive and get my information off it that way . it is a last resort..  is there any other way to get into safe mode. Maybe do a system restore back to the last known configuration.  I am not getting down what i need to with the computer this way. it is a m6-1045dx

Any help? THANKS SOOO MUCH!!

HP Recommended

I am not liking this. Can you get into diagnostic mode (F2) and run a test on the hard drive? Can you even get into command line safe mode? If you can you can run a chkdsk on the hard drive from there and maybe repair any corruption. 

HP Recommended

Hard drive test - Quick.jpg

After Quick hard drive test.

I can get into the Diagnostic mode (F2)  I did the Quick Hard drive test and it passed.

I am doing the extensive hard drive test, but so far it passed the first two (Smart check : passed & short DST: passed ) the Optimized DST : not available, its working on the Long DST its only 6% done. I know it will take a while.

Do you think the hard drive is bad?

Normally when I can't get into the computer thru the OS I would take out the hard drive and place it on a docking port then I would be able to get into the drive that way.  But I have triad it with this laptop when all my other options failed and my other computer told me it could not recognized the disk.. I knew right then that was a bad sign. But I placed it back into the laptop hoping it would work and I still get the same issues, My time is running out and I hope I can fix this.. Sorry if this reposts..

HP Recommended

I would boot it from a Windows install disk or PBE disk and get a command prompt up and run a chkdsk C: /r on it. Sometimes boot sector files just get scrambled up a bit and a chkdsk with repair will put the files all back in order and it will work again. 

The long test just searches for bad sectors...a disk that will pass the short test but not the long test ought to still work, even though it does need to be replaced you can make a viable image from it typically. 

HP Recommended

I dont have installation disks, What is a PBE Disk? sorry.. I do have a windows 10 USB sick but its made from a Desktop, NOT of the same brand. the Laptop is HP and my desktop i made. Still will that work??

HP Recommended

I dont have installation disks, What is a PBE Disk? sorry, I do have a windows 10 USB sick but its made from a Desktop, NOT of the same brand. the Laptop is HP and my desktop i made. Still will that work??

HP Recommended

Yes as long as it is a Windows 10 Media Creation download from Microsoft all the same..boot from it and choose repair instead of install and it should give you an option to open a command prompt and should be able to run chkdsk C: /r

PBE is preboot environment...basically a technician toolkit disk that lets you run some diagnostic things without disturbing the contents of the hard drive. Every technician should have one or more of them. Hiren's bootdisk is a good example. 

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

HP Recommended

Computer error 4.jpg

Yes it was made with the microsoft media creation tool.  Also thank you for the PBE link i will check that out.

Ok so i placed the usb stick into the computer and turned on the computer and this is what i got (picture above). When i remove the media and click the YES (as i dont want a clean install) button it goes back to the same error.  With the same error code.  0xc0000017

So does this mean its a softwear issue and the hard drive is not bad?  Do i have to face the fact that everything is gone?

Thnk you so much for your help. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.