Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
15-b165sl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the big update of march 2017, my pc started having issues. Few minutes (or few seconds) after starting it, it gives me the blue screen of death.

I tryed to ripristinate to a former version, to reset the pc but everything failed. So I formatted it and reinstalled w10 but the problem still happens.

The pc isn't old, before this update it worked very well. It was averagely fast and without any problem.

Do you have any advise to fix this? Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

> So I formatted it and reinstalled w10 but the problem still happens.

You probably have a "hardware" problem.

Turn the computer off.

Turn the computer on, and look on the screen for a message like "press <blah> to run HP Diagnostics".

Press that key, and launch the hardware diagnostics.

Give us details of what is found.

HP Recommended
Hi, thank you for reply.
There's no message and I found out that pressing f11 doesn't work anymore! It says "f11...system recovery" but it starts as usual without showing the recovery screen
HP Recommended
Is there any other way to run the hp diagnostic?
HP Recommended
Oh, sorry, I've just waken up lol
I googled it and I downloaded the last version of hp diagnostic and now I'm doing it. I'll let you know the results
HP Recommended

I did as you said but no issue was founded

as you can see, every test I did was passed. The only one wich failed was because I stopped it, so it wasn't a real failure.

photo6039412738112989255.jpgphoto6039412738112989254.jpg

HP Recommended

> So I formatted it and reinstalled w10 but the problem still happens.

Do you have a spare disk-drive that you can try to install onto, just to eliminate any "undiagnosed" failure of your current disk-drive?

HP Recommended
No, I haven't.
How can I know for sure if it's a hard disk problem or not? I I've been thinking it was march update's fault but maybe you hit the point...
HP Recommended

> How can I know for sure if it's a hard disk problem or not?

How old is the disk-drive?  It probably had a warranty for 1 or 2 years.

A few ways to tell:

1. Commercial software ("SpinRite") that does extensive testing.  But, after spending money on the software, if the disk-drive is bad, you still have to spend more money to purchase a replacement. Sigh.

2. Extensive writing on the current disk-drive, via:    CHKDSK C: /R   command.  Definitely not recommended, if the disk-drive is "suspect", and you don't have a good backup.

3. Use free "disk-cloning" software, to copy, byte-for-byte, everything from your "out-of-warranty" disk-drive to a brand-new "in-warranty" disk-drive.  Such software should have an option to "skip" each sector that it cannot read.

Note that this software only requires enough "health" of the disk-drive to "read", not to "write" -- useful if you want to avoid writing onto a "dying" disk-drive.

4. As I wrote before, reinstalling Windows/applications/personal-files onto a new disk-drive.  If there are no problems,  you're good, and you can use suggestion #2 to prove that the disk-drive was "dying", and to justify the cost of replacing the disk-drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.