Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 24 (16,032 Views)

Blue screen of death hp windows 7

I have been searching and reading other peoples problems with the BSOD. Trying there ideas and nothing works. Just can't get passed it. Although when I tried quickly tapping the esc key as it turns on it says "entering boot menu..." but it just stays there. I've waited for hours. What to do, what to do? Any help will be appreciated, I have a lot of important stuff on my pc
0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 24 (16,009 Views)

Re: Blue screen of death hp windows 7

Good morning

BSOD can be either hardware or sofware related. In my experience its is a slow process of elimination.

In my experience, various things have worked for me; Start by running Memtest stress stest on your RAM. Run a HDD diagnostic tool to confirm your HDD is in good health.

Try booting into Safe mode to see if the problem persist. If Safe mode works, see if you have restore points active and restore the PC back to a earlier state when it worked. Due to the fact that you might have a rogue or corrupted update which have downloaded and installed itself on your PC.

Lastly, you might have to check for malware or viruses. Once again, scan your PC in Safe mode and lets see if it helps.

Good luck

Gideon

Tutor
Message 3 of 24 (16,000 Views)

Hey,
How would I go about booting it in Safe Mode? I'm not real big on computers Smiley Sad
Top Student
Message 4 of 24 (15,968 Views)

Hi there

Reboot your computer and repeatedly press the F7 button. This should bring about the boot menu.

From this menu select the Safe Boot option.

Rgs

Gideon

Tutor
Message 5 of 24 (15,959 Views)

Doesn't work for me. I think we may be talking about a different type of BSOD..
Mine give me the option of ecs=boot menu F10=setup F11=system recovery F9=diagnostics.

I tried F7 repeatedly, got nothing. Then I. Tried with Esc and it said Loding Boot Menu... but it doesn't load nothing, it just sits there.

I almost want to give up but I can't. Bacause I have a lot of important information on it.
Regents Professor
Message 6 of 24 (15,943 Views)

Safe Mode can be accessed by turning the system on and pressing the F8 key approximately once a second to get the advanced boot menu.  Once the boot menu appears, you can then select Safe Mode with networking or a different Safe Mode of your choosing. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
Message 7 of 24 (15,923 Views)

I gave it a shot, more than a few times.. still nothing. My bsod is an **bleep**. Nothing seems to work. I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the ram?
Regents Professor
Message 8 of 24 (15,916 Views)

Do you mean that you are pressing F8 about once a second after pressing the power button and you still aren't getting the Advanced Boot Menu with the safe mode options?  You should get the advanced boot menu with the described process.  If you are not getting that, then either something has happened to Windows or the system is not receiving the keyboard signal in time to trigger the menu.

As GideonEL has noted, a blue screen error can be software or hardware. 

About 2/3 of the way down, there will be a stop error code (e.g. 0x0000007e).  What is this error code? 

Some blue screen errors list a file that may have caused it just below the stop error code? Is one listed?

Before continuing, I want to be certain that everyone is on the same page.

Mine give me the option of ecs=boot menu F10=setup F11=system recovery F9=diagnostics.

Before continuing, I would like to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The reason I want to confirm is that you said your blue screen gives different options and listed the ESC, F9, F10, and F11 keys.  These keys are not part of a Windows blue screen error.

Are you referring to a screen that looks like this?

Or are you referring to a blue screen that looks like this?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
Message 9 of 24 (15,903 Views)

Yes that is exactly the one I'm talking about. The one with the hp logo in the middle.
Regents Professor
Message 10 of 24 (15,897 Views)

Well, that does explain why a few of the steps in the thread were not working.  Just to note, that is the BIOS splash screen and not a BSOD or blue screen error.  Smiley Wink

At this point, I gather that you are not able to enter BIOS by pressing F10 or the Esc key. 

I would like to do a quick test as I have seen this type of behavior in some cases.  With the hard drive removed, are you able to get into BIOS?  If you need to know how to remove the hard drive, please respond with the full model of notebook you have.  For example, dv7-65c0. 

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation