cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bradyll99
Level 3
34 29 2 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Solved!

Bluescreen error in Vista

HP Recommended
I just recently started getting that annoying bluescreen error when I turn on my computer, (which is a dv6000) but it doesn't usually occur at the same time. I restored my computer to an earlier state and checked my hard drives for errors, didn't help. I checked out the fault bucket code for the error and it's 0xD1_KmxFilter+587d. Annyone know the source?
Message Edited by bradyll99 on 11-25-2008 12:49 AM
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
James_Cummins
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First thought is that your integrated  video chipset is overheating and that lockup is causing the driver to fault.

EDIT:  The above is wrong, I looked at only the stop error code and not the KMXFilter factor.

Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-26-2008 02:48 PM
0 Kudos
Amine
5 5 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello bradyll99,

James is right. Check out the link.

Can you also please attach the minidump files ( Windows\Minidump\ ) so that we can have a look ?

Thank you.

Amine.

0 Kudos
bradyll99
Author
Level 3
34 29 2 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
thanks for the help. What are the minidump files and how do I find them?
Message Edited by bradyll99 on 11-26-2008 01:58 PM
0 Kudos
bradyll99
Author
Level 3
34 29 2 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
o and by the way, my computer works perfectly fine in safe mode. I honestly don't think this problem is because of my computer overheating, because it has been working fine for the last 3 months. It just started happening after I installed a punch of updates. I uninstalled some of them, but can't uninstall all of the Microsoft Office Home and Student updates because it doesn't allow me in safe mode.
0 Kudos
James_Cummins
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm probably wrong in my last post, when I saw the 0xD1 stop code I recognized it as a Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal code which is often the video driver which can crash if video stops responding, but now I'm suspecting it might be CA Internet Security, is that or was that installed on the system?  See this topic, especially the last 3 posts:
Since KMXFilter is a CA file, if nothing else works then see if they have a patch or uninstall their application.
Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-26-2008 02:51 PM
0 Kudos
bradyll99
Author
Level 3
34 29 2 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
ya I think you're actually spot on with your diagnosis. When my computer crashes, the problem/solution window comes up when I turn my computer and it says the following "Problem caused by antivirus or firewall program You received this message because your antivirus or firewall program has caused a blue screen error, which means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss" I just didn't think that could possibly be the problem, but apparently it is. I just don't want to uninstall it because then I'll be susceptible to hackers and viruses. Some of the solutions include updating it and scanning for viruses, downloading and installing latest drivers, uninstalling the antivirus or firewall program, removing recently installed hard/software, and restoring my computer to a previous state. I did just recently scan for viruses, the program updates itself everytime I turn on my computer. I don't think there are any new drivers, and didn't install any new hardware or software. So......I guess I should get rid of it......?
0 Kudos
Amine
5 5 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello,
There is a folder located in C:\Windows\  called Minidump ( %SystemRoot% \ Minidump folder )
You may have to show the hidden folders and files.
Message Edited by Amine on 11-27-2008 12:01 AM
Message Edited by Amine on 11-27-2008 12:11 AM
0 Kudos
James_Cummins
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It would've been easier to troubleshoot your problem if you would have supplied all info at first instead of holding things back.

Yes, uninstall it, or patch it, or do what that linked topic suggested and see if that works.
0 Kudos
bradyll99
Author
Level 3
34 29 2 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Amine wrote:
Hello,
There is a folder located in C:\Windows\  called Minidump ( %SystemRoot% \ Minidump folder )
You may have to show the hidden folders and files.
Message Edited by Amine on 11-27-2008 12:01 AM
Message Edited by Amine on 11-27-2008 12:11 AM

Ok, so I click start, then type Minidump in the Search box correct? When I do that, a bunch of minidump folders come up for different dates. Which one do I select and how do I open it. I've tried to open one of them under many programs, but it's not working.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation