cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
David12228
Level 4
102 60 0 2
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Bluetooth again

HP Recommended
Envy 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am using this machine with Win 7 Pro SP1, will never use Win 8.

Bluetooth stopped working. I looked in Devices & Printers, there's a yellow exclamation point on the laptop icon. Double-clicking it brings up a list, the first is Bluetooth Peripheral Device. At the bottom of the Hardware tab it says

"The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).

I tried trouble shooting, with Windows Update, it could not find a driver.

I went to HP support. The Model name was not recognized; the product number was not recognized; the serial number was not recognized. I had to install the HP software which came back with the exact same details that I had entered. I'm sure there is a reason for HP needing to install their software. I would like to know where it is installed so that I can remove it.

When I eventually got to see the list of updates available I could not find anything relating to Bluetooth. Many of the items listed, BIOS. Driver Network Support, Driver Chipset etc, had more than one update available, many issued on the same date, but no indication as to which should be installed. Latest? Both? All? Who knows?

I did update the BIOS, that stopped the machine dead. When it re-booted to a black screen it said:

Boot device not recognized

Please install operating system.

I have a Win 7 DVD, full license. Tried to boot from it and got:

Selected boot image did not authenticate. Press Enter to continue. Then it went dead.

Fortunately Elutronics who sold me the machine knew what had gone wrong and were able to sort it out on the phone, the BIOS had been set up for Win 8! Thank you HP.

I installed everything I could see to do with Networking, however, Bluetooth is still not working, Can someone please tell me where I can get the driver?

Thank you.

David

11 REPLIES 11
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
135,018 124,374 20,702 31,787
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, David:

What model wireless network card does your model have?

That determines what bluetooth driver you need to install.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
David12228
Author
Level 4
102 60 0 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry but I have no idea as to what wirelss card is installed.

In Device Manager under Bluetooth I see:

Intel Wireless Bluetooth (4) Adapter

&

MS Bluetooth enumerator.

Under Network Adapters is see:

Bluetooth device (Personal Area Network) #2

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #2

Intel Wireless N 7260

MS Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

MS Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Under Other Devices is:

Bluetooth Peripheral Device.

Does any of this make any sense? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

David

The Model is: HP Envy Model 15t-j100: the product number is: E9W31AV. Not that HP support recognizes either.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, David:

Yes, that is the info I needed.

You need this W7 x64 bluetooth driver for the Intel Wireless N 7260 card...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24847/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technol...

The support and driver page for your notebook is at the link below...not all of the wireless networking drivers are available on that support page but it appears the rest of the drivers are.

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-j100-select-edition-notebook-pc-serie...

David12228
Author
Level 4
102 60 0 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for the links you sent. I downloaded the file, no problem there, and I really thought that things were looking up, but. . . When I ran the installation file it ended in an error message:-

There is a problem with this installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personel or package vendor."

I can't honestly say I'm surprised, I've had this machine for just over a year and in that time I've had more hassle than I've had with any other machine, ever, I've been using Windows since 3.0. It was still under warranty when the touchpad stopped working, another driver problem which Tech Support sorted out by uninstalling the driver and then re-installing it. That worked, for a week. Since I now knew how to do re-install I did it most days, I even had a shortcut on the Desktop to run the file. Then programs that are listed to start in the Run key in the Registry weren't starting, I copied shortcuts to the Windows > Start folder. That worked, for a week, now I have to start each one manually.

I can tell you "Envy" is not the name that comes to my mind when thinking of what I would have called this model.

However, thank you again for your input. Do you happen to know of any other source for this Bluetooth driver?

David

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, David.

Try the Intel bluetooth driver from this HP business notebook...

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6943827&swItemId=ob_147738_1&swEnvOid=405...

It seems to me as these notebooks get newer, they get more complicated, and it doesn't take much to throw them out of kilter as it were.

For example, you used to be able to just install the touchpad driver directly from Synaptics on the older models.

These new models have all different kinds of Synaptics touchpads, with different features, etc, and many times the generic touchpad driver from Synaptics does not work.

David12228
Author
Level 4
102 60 0 2
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got that driver, and it seemed to install without any problems. In Device Manager there are 2 entries for Bluetooth: "Intel Wireless Bluetooth" and "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator". Both are shown as working correctly.

Unfortunately I can't pair the laptop with the Bluetooth receiver that I use with Bose headphones. There is a note in the receiver instructions, "Please make sure your Bluetooth devices support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)." But that means nothing to me. Maybe the simplest solution is a length of wire, no driver needed.

Thank you for your help,

David

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, David.

That means nothing to me either.

I rarely if ever use bluetooth, so I am not familiar with all of its features.

I can say though that the wireless card in your notebook is a very modern one that has the latest bluetooth radio version, which is 4.0.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you any further with this matter.

You now have the right BT driver and the BT devices you listed are what you should be seeing.

David12228
Author
Level 4
102 60 0 2
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your time and insight.

David

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime, David.

Glad to have been of assistance where I could.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation