cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Bluetooth intel driver fail from recent updates

HP Recommended
Envy 4-1030 Circa 2012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Phillips shb5500 headset that was working until revent MS and Hp updates disrupted the drivers. Some function were restored with restore function rollback. I'm on MS boards and Philips boards as well.

Device manager says it's working but I'm looking at all potential drivers. The MS Audio Device 97 is high on the list as well.

Win 10 has had many such driver foul ups for me. I especially grt annoyed by messages like "there was an error" with no definitions. "Failed to install", "driver unavailable".

HP assitant want me to delete the Bluetooth/Intel driver then install the update. I'll do it but I don't see where this is going either.

Soon the "story" will be found, it will be a common one I'm sure, but it's so annoying to be thrown in the obsolete scrap bin with a 4 year old device that was marketed as "high end" at the time. HP should win 10 support the device but it doesn't.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I am glad that you joined in @investch, 

I understand that you are having an issue with the headphones that you would normally use on your HP ENVY Ultrabook 4-1030us after updates had come through. 

You had also mentioned that the HP Support Assistant wanted you to delete the Bluetooth driver and install a new one. The HP Support Assistant will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating for Windows 10. It may not be specifically for the headphone issue, but preventing a different issue. 

Have you tried using the Windows troubleshooting tool?

Have you tried to select "Find New Hardware" in the Device Manager?

Have you tried to uninstall the audio driver?

If not, please use the following steps:

• Go to the Device Manager
  • Click on Sound, video, and game controllers
  • Right click on the Sound driver
  • Click Uninstall
  • Restart your Notebook twice
  • Reinstall the Sound driver if it does not install automatically. 

If that does not work, please follow the following steps:

• Control Panel,
  • Hardware and Sound,
  • Click on Sound,
  • Manage Audio Devices,
  • Please plug in your headphones and see if the headphone icon shows up. 

In the Manage Audio Devices section, is the headphone icon showing?

I found a document for you called Resolving Headphones and Headset Problems. This document has troubleshooting steps included to help you get the right sound from your Notebook using headphones. Although it says that it is for Windows 8, it will work just the same for Windows 10. 

If the other solutions provided already didn't work, try the audio troubleshooter. It might be able to fix your issue automatically.

Have you tried to uninstall the Windows update that was done just before the headphones stopped working?

If not, please follow these instructions and see if they help. 

• Boot into Safe Mode
  • In the search type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click Programs and Features
  • Click View Installed Updates
  • Click the drop down menu beside Installed On
  • Select the date when these problems started to happen
  • Go to the Updates shown
  • Right Click on the Update
  • Click Uninstall

Please uninstall all the updates done on that date. When you are finished, please restart the Notebook twice. 

Please let me know if these steps resolve the issue by marking this post as Accept as Solution. This will help other's with the same sound issue find a resolution on the HP Support Forums quickly. To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs up icon.

If you require further assistance, I would more than happy to continue to help. 

Thank you!

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!

I had already taken many of these steps like rolling back drivers etc. A key issue is when I try to update a driver MS gives a message "there was an error" trying to install. I have many "!" and "?" in device manager under "other devices". Bluetooth looks clean but in setting under Bluetooth my SHB5500 Philips is listed but with the statement "driver is unavailable". I've gone through discovery several times and again after rolling back the MS Update that is most suspect in the event.

There are some other fact to mention. The speaker ICON has the red "X" next to it. I can clean that up with a restore but the other issues remain. Keep in mind the conventional speakers failed years ago. I spent plenty of driver troubleshooting and paid for tech on that event. The half hearted conclusion is there was a board problem not worth the investment to repair. I started using Bluetooth devices that still worked, just no speakers in the wired sense. This was colege gift to my son, I bought him another device and use this as a travel device.

I have other BT speakers to try  at home but I'm still on the road currently. I don't think they would work either based on the settings BT messaging.

The red "X" by the speaker carries the message "no audio device found" and in settings the screen looks filled with duplicates, "!" and "?"s. Again I can restore back to 6/14 to clear these but it still can't find the headset driver to work.

It's kind of unusual, to me anyway, for a device to stop while working. Usual it would fail on startup or after the machine was altered. there's been a pretty full update schedule of late, some was audio related but the headsets were working immediately after these installls.

I've been getting the fake HP tech solicitations from my posts, they can do the Citrix remote sessions and want money. My issue with that is there is no warranty the problems will be fixed, it annoys me to no end either way. The laptop was clearly defective with two years of purchase, I paid more for Beats as a further irony, and third parties claim they know the problem and have fixes. They could be lying, they all but use fraud with chanelling "HP's" logo in every possible way.

Moving forward I'm fine with the BT headset solution, this isn't a priority machine but I still like to have sound in some form. I appreciate your reply and will follow whatever steps you suggest. The thing to remember is from your first reply is there is nothing you can do with an MS message "there was an error" with no definitions. Or "driver unavailable". It's all so cryptic and timewasting. The diagnostic software is almost always anti-consumer, hiding sometimes the simple facts. I "feel" there are driver conflicts relating Win 10 conflicts. HP, MS, and perhaps other vendors are in some sort of driver conflict. All basically pass the buch to others and don't fix problems they may well have created. The decision of HP not to Win 10 test this machine is horrible as well. the machine was three years old when that decision was made, "too old".

One thing to look at is the MS HFP Audio Device 97, this is my conflict suspect. It can't update with the usual message "error".

Can you do a remote session? I would rather pay HP directly and pay for success only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One more specific;

I used MS troubleshooter, it sees many of the things we're focused on, asks to install driver as solution, I go though the list then restart. Nothing happens, probalby for the same reason when I directly try to update a driver the "error" or "can't find". So it's a waste of time from the actual fix process. It doesn't even explain why it fails on Troubleshooter, another half baked MS tool.

I'm on the MS boards as well, it's always the devices fault over there. "Contact Philips or HP". I'm about 90% sure the MS driver is stomping on others features which is so typically MS. They're in conflict with BT, Philips (it works with my Iphone) and or HP. Win 10 has been a driver fiasco, they screwed up my Brother printer earlier in the year and other smaller driver functions. It's always about them and what others fail to do in response to the their sponging "upgrades" that always are more of the same after any given period of time. Win 7 was overall better then this but the torture is all but mandated. at the same time they aren't accountable for all this BS they create down line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update;

I rolled first back to 6/17, the red "X" still over my speaker Icon.

Then I rolled back to 6/14 and the red "x" is gone. There are few drivers with "?'s" in "other devices" but it looks ok. It asks me to rediscover the SHB5500 which I do but the message "driver is not available" shows up after the seeming pairing. When I directly try to upgrade the Philips driver I get the error message and the BT icon show up under, "can't find device".

The mysterious MS HFP Audio Device has the yellow "!", I think this is a BT hands free function still there.

I'm heading home where I have more devices to test. Win 10 even screwed up the Restore funtion to my mind, I can't seem to pick an earlier restore date before 6/14 which I would try.  They live to be annoying.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation