Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tramampoleen Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bluetooth not available on Pavilion dv6-3138tx

Pavilion dv6-6138tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

I've got a Pavilion dv6-3138tx, product number QC331PA#ABG. I can't work out how to enable bluetooth - I'm not sure if there was an update to my machine recently, but there's no longer a bluetooth option in my system tray. I can see the device in BIOS so it's definitley there.

I've had bluetooth working on this laptop before, connected to wireless headphones, and I'd like to set it up again. Windows update is all up to date, and I can see an 'unknown device' in device manager but apparently no drivers available... any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 183 585
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

The deice icon might be disabled from system tray but would be available on the device.

cick on start and type 'control panel'. Choose control panel and you would see bluetooth icon there. if not then click on 'Devices and Printer' and find the icon there.

You can install Network Manager for your device from dervers page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07165

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Tutor SandeepJB Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check try the following:

1. Check if the Bluetooth drivers are listed in device manager under "Network Adapters"
Note: If the Bluetooth drivers is not listed under Network Adapter the check under Unknown devices.
2. If you are note able to find any drivers listed then please check the Wifi driver details, then use the same make (name) bluetooth driver using the link below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/424...

Test these suggestions and get back to us we will he be happy to help you!

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.
0 Kudos
tramampoleen Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for your help - There's no bluetooth icon in the control panel (searching for 'bluetooth' doesn't give me any results either.

When I go to 'devices and printers' I can see the wireless headset that I want to connect to, but it doens't give me the option to connect. It has a 'sound settings' menu when I right-click on it, but that takes me to playback devices and my headphones aren't listed there.  I thinkthey only display here because of the last time I had this working.

When I follow the links for the Network Manager device, I'm told that I need to download updates with Windows Update (because I'm running W10) but Windows Update Manager is up to date...

0 Kudos
tramampoleen Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sandeep! Thanks for your response.

There's no Bluetooth driver listed under Network adaptors, just the ethernet, intel wireless and realtek family controller (whatever that is.). I do have an 'Unknown Device' listed under Other Devices, but when I try to update the driver for that, I get a message that says "Windows could not find driver software for your device".

I checked the link below (same as the one Karthik supplied) and get the same message about Windows 10 getting drivers through Windows Update. Just as an experiment though, I changed the OS to Windows 7 and I can see a lot of bluetooth drivers show up.

Any chance W7 drivers will work on W10?

0 Kudos
Tutor SandeepJB Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are no Windows 10 specific drivers released for Pavilion dv6-3138tx.

Please check for the Wifi Driver name in Device Manager: It should be either

1. Broadcom 
2. Ralink/Motorola
3. Atheros
4. Intel

Download the equivalent Bluetooth Driver using the link below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/424...

Please download and save the file. Then right click on the file and run it in Compatibility mode.
This could help you install the Windows 7 based drivers for the DV6 unit.

Please test this and get back to us.

I am an HP Employee.
tramampoleen Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alrighty - I've downloaded and installed the Intel driver, still no love. This is what I'm seeing in Device Manager:

device manager.png

0 Kudos
Tutor SandeepJB Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please share the Hardware id using the steps listed below:

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Right click on the Driver  listed under Unknown devices, Select Properties.
3.  Open the Details Tab under Properties window.
4. Use the drop down menu under Property. Select Hardware ID from the list.

5. Please share all the details listed under the Value box.

I am an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
tramampoleen Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For your perusal, sir!

hardware ids.png

0 Kudos
Intern Intern
Intern
35 3 8
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there,

Check if the bluetooth is on by going to Settings, Devices, Move the bluetooth toggle to right to turn it on.

if the bluetooth is turned on, then go to device manager, Expand Other devices right click on unknown devices and click on update driver software and select the first option. Let windows search and installs the drivers for you. Make sure the internet is connected to the notebook

Hope this helps

#HPExpertDay

Regards;
Jyo
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation