cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RANDD
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Boot device not found - Pavilion G7

HP Recommended
Laptop is asking for an operating system to be installed on hard disk.
Hard Disk (3F0)
For more info go to www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup. Since HP did not bother including disk with this computer I have no OS to reinstall
Your assistance would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,319 90,196 11,594 24,865
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

G7 is a series of many models, what is yours ? All vendors now do not supply CD/DVD's with their machines except for retail versions of software (if users bought them at the same time). The 3F0 error may be more serious than reinstall OS. Please use the following instructions to check first:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Drake_glenn
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Mine doing the same did you fix it by any chance.
0 Kudos
RedRose0528
Level 9
3,429 3,390 129 678
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Drake_glenn,

I understand your computer is not booting properly, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Can you please provide the full make and model of the computer you have, if you are unsure where to locate that information have a look at this link for help if needed.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
0 Kudos
tuxedoze
Level 2
19 13 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RedRose0528

I was able to narrow down this widespead issue to defective BIOS/EFI.  This is not a hardware problem per se.

Machine: G7-1167dx

BIOS: F.53

Despite the error 3F0 at boot, which stands for "Boot device not found", the machine is able to read the hard drive when F2 key is pressed and machine starts the System Utilities from the HP_TOOLS partition (these are EFI programs).

I tested the machine with another SATA hard drive, it does not see it either.  I tried the hard drive from this machine in an external enclosure, my other computer reads all four partitions and files just fine.

Therefore BOTH hard drive and SATA controller are fine!

Hard drive and memory tests in System Utilities check out, however the machine continues to refuse to see the hard drive on normal boot.

What's more, the boot device selection screen is EMPTY, it does not see the hard drive, the CD-ROM, or USB storage devices!!!

More, the "CMOS setup utility" (which is really an EFI configuration utility) does not save changes!  I will reboot and none of the changes I made like boot order or enabling/disabling USB floppy boot or "Fan always on" are ever saved, despite me choosing "Exit saving changes" in the setup utility on exit.  THIS IS A DEFECT!

I tried unplugging the CMOS battery, but it only clears system clock, it does not clear other CMOS settings, I suspect because they are actually stored in EFI NVRAM.

The HP System Utilities was able to roll back the BIOS to F.52, however the issue with CMOS settings not being saved continues.  Because I am not able to boot any devices (hard drive, CD-ROM, USB) with this defective BIOS/EFI, I cannot downgrade the BIOS version any further.

My guess is that clearing EFI NVRAM may fix these problems, however I have no such ability.  Support from HP is required!

Hope to hear back soon regarding this.

CompTIA Certified Professional

0 Kudos
mkl51
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having identical problems with this very same computer.  OP, did you ever figure it out?

0 Kudos
npw05001
Level 8
2,472 2,431 76 315
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello mkl51,

I see that you are having a problem with the start up error message on your computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the full model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

0 Kudos
michiganman1019
2 1 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Npw05001,  I am having the same problem.  My serial number is 6cf1370gqv. My Product number is QE308UAR#ABA.

Boot device not found . hard drive not exist.

0 Kudos
5Q
3 2 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
My HP 1000-1304TU is having the same problem,I've done the steps for boot up device and encountered this while on step 3- smart check:not installed
0 Kudos
richardb42
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just had the same problem. Apparently the legacy boot option in the bios became disabled. Enter the bios and go to the system configuration tab and select boot options. Check the legacy support option and ensure that it is enabled. Disable all the others. Now you should see the legacy support options enabled below. Move the "notebook hard drive" to the top of the selection. Press "F10", save the configuration and reboot. Done

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation