Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Revolve 810 G3 and others

I am having a problem with booting a USB 3.0 thumb drive in a USB 3.0 SS USB port on HP laptops.  The drive is just not recognized in the boot menu when it is in the USB 3.0 port.  When I have a laptop with a USB 2.0 port, I can plug the drive in there and boot without issue.  Normally this is fine, but I have a Revolve 810 G3 that does not have a USB 2.0 port. 

How can I use USB boot for a USB 3.0 thumb drive on a system like this?  I have found other forums mentioning this type of issue and they all suggest a legacy mode in the BIOS.  This is already enabled on these machines.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Is It Called USB Key? If It Is Put It In First Place Restart The PC Then Press F2 For Boot Device Options Find It And Then Boot To It

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended

The USB drive does not appear in the boot menu (F9 to bring up, not F2) if it is a USB 3.0 drive in a USB 3.0 slot.  If the system has a USB 2.0 slot, then the USB drive is recognized.  If it's a USB 2.0 drive, then it is recognized in the USB 3.0 slot.  USB 3.0 drive in the USB 3.0 slot is not recognized by the HP Boot Menu.

I did find other articles for other platforms with similiar issues so I assume it must be chipset related.

HP Recommended

Try To Enable Or Disable USB 3.0 PreOS

HP Recommended

Where is this option in the BIOS?  These are the only options I see related to USB:

Advanced / Device Configurations / USB Legacy Support (checked)

Advanced / Device Configurations / USB 3.0 (XHCI) (checked)

Advanced / Device Configurations / USB Charging Port (checked)

Advanced / Device Configurations / Wake on USB (checked)

Advanced / Port Options / USB Port (checked)

I have tried changing all of these options but nothing allows me to select the USB 3.0 drive from the boot menu.

HP Recommended

Try To Disable Legacy Boot Becasue That Is A Old Feature That Might Not Work With 3.0

Also You Can Try To Disable USB 3.0 (XHCI)

HP Recommended

Hi:

On the Advanced / Device Configurations / USB 3.0 (XHCI) menu, is there an Auto menu?

If so, see if selecting the Auto menu allows the PC to boot from the USB3 port.

HP Recommended

Also WHat Is Your Boot Order Look Like Just Wirte in Text

HP Recommended

There is no Auto option under the USB 3.0 (XHCI) option.  It's just a check box.  Checking the box or unchecking it does not seem to change the behavior. 

Here are the options in the Boot Menu:

PCIe/M.2 SSD Drive (UEFI)

Msata Hard drive partition: 2

Notebook Ethernet IPV4

Notebook Ethernet IPv6

Boot from EFI File

HP Recommended

When I set Boot Mode to Legacy I get these options in the Boot Menu:

PCIe/M.2 SSD Drive

Notebook Ethernet

Note that the USB drive I have works fine to boot on other laptops as long as it is not in a US 3.0 port.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.