Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hi All, I have an HP Envy that (was) running Windows 8. Due to a BCD problem, I know the fix is to create a bootable USB stick with the right ISO image on it. I've created this and checked it boots on another PC, no problem. However, I cannot change the boot order on the HP Envy. No matter which keys (ESC, F2, F6, F9 or F11), I cannot get the into the BIOS to change the boot order or even turn the auto boot off so I can change it to USB. I've tried all three USB ports with the stick. If I press escape at the blue 'Recovery' screen I can see the 5 options but if I say, press F10 'BIOS Setup' it goes straight back to the blue 'Recovery' screen. Any ideas? Very frustrating as I know the USB stick is ready to go to fix the problem if only the Notebook would let me boot from USB!  - David.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

If you tap Esc, then F9 does it not let you select USB to boot from?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi Cheryl, it does not, you would think it would, that would be the obvious course of action but no, once I tap F9 it jumps straight to a blue 'Recovery' screen informing me of the BCD error so I never get into any BIOS options.....(David)

HP Recommended

Strange behavior I have never seen before. What about F2-does it launch System Diagnostics or it bounces you to Recovery screen too?

HP Recommended

Good question!   F1 and F2 work as expected but F9, F10 and F11 all go to the blue 'Recovery' screen. My guy feeling is that this blue 'Recovery' screen is a Windows 8 generated screen but I have to admit I have no evidence to prove this. - David.

HP Recommended

Guy feeling is really Gut Feeling!  (Sorry - lol!)

HP Recommended

I was thinking if F2 gets you into System Diagnostics that the startup tests or something in there might trigger a Startup repair or something that would help get Windows booting.

HP Recommended

Tried that just now. Did a full RAM and HD check, no errors and it didn't initiate any recovery actions. - David.

HP Recommended

OK, I managed to get a bit further with this. If I open the laptop and disconnect the HD, I can then get into the BIOS and change the Legacy setting and then set the USB drive at the top of the boot disk. Of course, when I then restart, the USB will boot but the HD isn't connected. If I cheat and quickly connect the HD as the USB boots then the Windows 8.1 on the USB does see the HD but it can't install on it because it sees it as GPT. I fear I have lost the RAID config on the HD. Thats not that bad for me as there is no data on the HD but how do I restore the RAID settings so I can re-install Windows now? - David

HP Recommended

On most newer machines it does not matter if you manage to set usb as first boot device- you still have to use F9 to select current boot device or it defaults to hdd. I know-strange.

Something that stands out- often a bad hdd can prevent being able to get F keys working and proceeding to BIOS. The fact you can enter BIOS only when it is disconnected ...

@Huffer any thoughts on this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.