Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 2540p

I have a hp laptop that I have been using for some years now. Its keyboard has encountered a problem now, that is the shift keys are not working. I have tried putting off the sticky keys as well but the keys are still not working.

BUT the shift keys do work when both are pressed TOGETHER at the same time, with another key. Why is this? Is there any solution for this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sara_, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand shift keys not working.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?  Have you tried checking with an external keyboard?

➡️Please try the steps recommended below.

✔️Go to Control Panel then look for Ease of Access
- Click on Change how your keyboard works.
- Uncheck where it says Turn on Sticky Keys and click OK.

🛑 If this doesn't work try checking the keyboard language if set correctly.

- Go back to Control Panel then look for Region and Language and make sure all tabs at set to the United States.
- Click Apply when a change is made then try your keyboard again.

✔️If your Shift key not working, there may be something wrong with your keyboard driver. You can update it or reinstall it to solve the problem. Here is the driver link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sara_, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand shift keys not working.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?  Have you tried checking with an external keyboard?

➡️Please try the steps recommended below.

✔️Go to Control Panel then look for Ease of Access
- Click on Change how your keyboard works.
- Uncheck where it says Turn on Sticky Keys and click OK.

🛑 If this doesn't work try checking the keyboard language if set correctly.

- Go back to Control Panel then look for Region and Language and make sure all tabs at set to the United States.
- Click Apply when a change is made then try your keyboard again.

✔️If your Shift key not working, there may be something wrong with your keyboard driver. You can update it or reinstall it to solve the problem. Here is the driver link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The Windows Creator update has wrecked my HP keyboard - out of warranty of course!

Immediately after the update both Shift keys would not work.  It seems that they have been reconfigured to behave as ctrl keys.  Although I can still get capitals by depressing Caps Lock (and then depressing again to come out of upper case - pain!)  I cannot get any of the symbols above the number keys or the upper symbol on other keys which means I can't get the important @ sign.

What have  done so far?.....

Checked that my Language settings have not been changed.  Filter keys/Sticky keys etc has not been changed/applied.  Checked the driver for the keyboard - all fine.  Nevertheless, i deleted the keboard from the system (Device manager) and then reinstalled. I finally uninstalled the Creators update and also went back to an earlier restore point.

ALL to no avail!  The HP diagnostic on the keyboard shows that the keyboard fails!

It's about time that we all put in a claim against Microsoft to be compensated for the damage they cause.  I've had to borrow a keyboard until I can purchase a new one?  But will that survive Microsoft's nect upgrade?

I'm fuming!!!!

HP Recommended

The same problem happend to me. Shift and ctrl keys were somehow mapped together.   I tried the drivers and sticky keys but ultimatly it was actually the keyboard.  I had a second wirless keyboard from another computer to pair and that one worked just fine. 

So I took the batteries out of the keyboard, took out the screws in the back and used a can of air to spray out all of the dust from the keyboard.  Then i put it back together and the keyboard worked fine.

HP Recommended

Are you still fuming chriselliss or did you eventually find a fix for this? 

I seem to have an idential problem (after a Windows update) and I feel it's too specififc to be a case of dust or debris behind both shift keys.

Is there a fix, patch or workaround that you (or anyone) has implemented successfully?

HP Recommended

I never did find a fix for this problem.  I went through absolutely every suggestion given by hp all to no avail.  I'm now using an older keyboard which works fine - in fact all other keyboards I've tried work OK, it's just the one which was connected to the computer during the Windows update which has been affected.

HP Recommended

Oh dear.  Well thanks for coming back to me. 

This is a laptop so connecting another keyboard to it is not really viable in my case.  

HP, any final suggestions before my EliteBook becomes an expensive door-stop?

HP Recommended

FWIW I resolved this myself.  Restarted and hit F2 to enter into the BIOS.  Choose "load defaults" and saved and exited. 

All keys are now doing what they should.  Turned out that it wasn't just 'shift' but also 'ctrl 'and 'alt' that were broken (according to HPs component test tool).

Proceed with caution in the BIOS - you can proper break stuff!

HP Recommended

After doing various irritating and seemingly unnecessary things like reinstalling windows on my wifes HP envy 360, I discovered via her work colleague that the laptop has an incredibly stupid function that when you hold down alt and F5 it does something to the keyboard, this stops the shift keys functioning correctly. Holding down alt and F5 reverses this stupid setting. Hope you haven't got rid of your laptop unnecessarily!

HP Recommended

Your solutions did not work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.