cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Gepardi Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Brand new HP Envy 17 freezing every day

Hello,

Last Friday I bought a brand new HP Envy 17 2050eo (finnish model).  From the very first day it started to freeze on me at least once a day.  The mouse doesn't move, ctrl + alt + delete does not work, nothing - screen just freezes. Hard reboot needed.  It always happens when I am downloading something, and I have noticed my wireless connection is dropping several times a day (gets yellow triangle with exclamation mark) - this is something that  doesn't happen with my other laptops, and has never happened so the problem is this particular laptop.

I updated all the drivers that I could, plus my windows 7 - nothing seems to help with the freezing problem.

I am no expert but tried to look at the event viewer ... and I really think this has something to do with my network adapter - not sure if it might be affecting the graphics card too in some way then.  

Please help me because I don't know what more I can do, and I would not expect such an expensive laptop to give me these kind of problems from day one.  I am really considering just taking it back at this point ...

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Provost
Provost
52,748 49,455 9,893 16,596
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Personally, I'd recommend taking it back and getting a replacement.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Gepardi Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello and thanks for your quick reply.

I just called the shop where I got my laptop and they will not offer me a replacement.  They will just try to fix it.  I am not very happy with this arrangement, so I will try to persist for a while to try to solve or isolate the problem by myself.

is there anything I can do to try to find/fix the problem until I take it in for fixing?  Diagnostic checks are ok. 

Or otherwise does anyone know whether I can call HP and they will replace it?  considering it is just a few days in my possession and has had problems from day one?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Here are a couple of processes to try.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Gepardi Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK, so I followed your instructions and during the sfc /scannow it said it found a corrupt file and repaired it.  No other problems found when checking the disk.  I cannot really make out from the log what exactly was corrupted.

I still cannot verify whether this worked, as my laptop freezes at random when there is high traffic going through.  So I will let you know.  Fingers crossed ...

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Ok, let me know if it happens again.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Gepardi Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Unfortunately it happened again.  The problem only appears when I am downloading something - but it doesn't always happen each time I download -sometimes I do manage to download things without problem.  so tricky to reproduce though it happens at least once a day.

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

If you are using Internet Explorer, download and install Firefox as a temporary measure and see if you still get the same issue using this browser.  Let me know how you get on using this.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Gepardi Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I use a mix of both.  No real difference - this freezing seems to happen only when I am downloading - whether I use a dedicated program like internet download manager or for example the laptop once froze whilst HP support assistant was downloading updates.  I am pretty sure it is the downloads because I did not have a freeze in quite a few hours today, then I started to download a file and my laptop crashed a staggering 3 times in 15 minutes each and every single time while I was downloading something.

It would also seem that the download will suddenly stop for a few seconds and then the freeze will happen.  The wireless connection seems to be dropping very often with this laptop too.  at least a couple of times an hour.  I will try to change the router tomorrow just in case, but surely a machine of this caliber should not freeze for such a simple thing such as a lost/unstable wireless connection?

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You're right, it shouldn't freeze with a lost or unstable connection - however it may be worth trying to illiminate a driver issue.  Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Network Adapters.

What is the name of the wireless device listed here?

Right click the wireless device and select Properties, click the Driver tab.  What is the Driver Version?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation