Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Louish1982 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Brand new Spectre X360 Battery drains fast when off

Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my  laptop is turn off from the windows menu and unplugged for storage the battery is drained way too fast! I lost 36% in 1 week.

8 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
19516 1607 6294
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post

@Louish1982

Try the following from our Forum Expert Big_Dave

If you are having a battery drain issue running Windows 10 then try the following from the Command prompt (admin):

• Press Windows + X keys to open Power menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • To disable the Hibernate, type command  powercfg/h off

This may slow down your boot time some. However, if you are using a SSD then you will not see a difference.

Hibernation is a default for W10 which will drain the battery even if you power off the PC. Hibernation is a low power state but it will drain down the battery. How much it will drain down the battery will depend on the hardware and overall battery capacity.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Louish1982 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post

Thanks but the advanced power option states hibernation is off and I try your command and it failed.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19516 1607 6294
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post

@Louish1982

Unfortunate.  I am sorry it did not work.

Please contact HP Technical Support; express your concern and ask for options.

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts 

USA / Canada

Fill in form (and explain issue / provide information) to receive Case Number and Contact Information

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Contact Information - Including UK

HP Tech support/ Customer Service – Some English-Speaking Countries

HP World-Wide Support

Help to find Product Number:

Identify my Notebook Model

Warranty Check

HP Customer Support - Product Warranty Check

HP Limited Warranty Statement (General Information)

HP Worldwide Limited Warranty and Technical Support

Optional Coverage Plans:

Enter your product number in the form to view various Warranty plans available for that system:

Care Pack Central

CarePack Definitions:

Care Pack Services Definitions

HP Consumer Services (Service Purchase Information)

1-866-724-8600

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
19 1 6
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post

Hi Louish, this is a known issue that dozens of us have been reporting. Even people with last year's model been experiencing it too. There is another thread topic with lots of posts that are very helpful overestimate here...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-H...

There is a fix called shpinx that has fixed it for a bunch of people. But I just posted in there about a BIOS update and lots of driver updates that I hope fixes it. I will post there with an update later.
0 Kudos
Louish1982 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post

Thanks for the reply, so is it worth it to ask for a relacement or it eill be the same? They agreed to either replace it or refund me whichever I prefer. I did all Bios update etc...
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
19 1 6
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post

If you replace it the new one is going to have the same problem. If it's a problem you can't live with and it's not fixed at least the day before your return policy expires, then I would return it and get a different laptop. That's what I'm going to do if HP does not have a software update for it by January.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19516 1607 6294
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post

@Louish1982

Another try (has reportedly worked for HP Envy 17t u100 CTO):

• Ensured that the Power Plan power off button is set to shutdown  (not the solution)
  • Changed settings in the BIOS:
  1. Disabled fast boot (not needed with SSD)
  2. Disabled USB charging port although nothing was plugged into the designated charging port.
  3. Disabled Battery remaining time
  • Command prompt (admin): powercfg.exe /hibernate off -----  no hiberfil.sys ever existed
  • Command prompt (admin): bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

NOTE:

This is not an HP provided "update".  The idea is offered "as is" in hopes that it will help.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Louish1982 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post

I received a replacement unit, I turned off hibernate from the power menu,not from the command promt as it does nothing. I made sure that the pc is powering off from the power button, not sleep mode. The option to check or uncheck fastboot mode has disapeared from the power options. I still lose about 3% a day when turned off.....

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation